all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fortran line width & comment
@ 2007-06-07 12:58 tunti
From: tunti @ 2007-06-07 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I edit fortran files with emacs. commented lines are coloured and everything
else works nice, but one thing makes me crazy:

when line reaches width greater than 72 characters, the rest of the line is
considered as comment. this messes up the colouring of the rest of the lines
in the file.

is there any way to me to make emacs NOT colour the rest of the line as a
comment ?

thanks a lot in advance!

-tunti

* Re: fortran line width & comment
       [not found] <mailman.1731.1181224869.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-07 19:26 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-07 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tunti wrote:

> I edit fortran files with emacs. commented lines are coloured and
> everything else works nice, but one thing makes me crazy:
>
> when line reaches width greater than 72 characters, the rest of the
> line is considered as comment. this messes up the colouring of the
> rest of the lines in the file.
>
> is there any way to me to make emacs NOT colour the rest of the line
> as a comment ?

(setq fortran-font-lock-syntactic-keywords
      '(("^[cd\\*]" 0 (11))))

Or copy the definition from fortran.el and change "71" in the second
element to whatever value you want. It should be easier to customize
this, sorry.

Or use f90-mode rather than fortran-mode if you are actually writing
free-form code.

* Re: fortran line width & comment
@ 2007-06-12 14:10   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.15010.1216429221.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I edit fortran files with emacs. commented lines are coloured and
>> everything else works nice, but one thing makes me crazy:
>>
>> when line reaches width greater than 72 characters, the rest of the
>> line is considered as comment. this messes up the colouring of the
>> rest of the lines in the file.
>>
>> is there any way to me to make emacs NOT colour the rest of the line
>> as a comment ?

> (setq fortran-font-lock-syntactic-keywords
>       '(("^[cd\\*]" 0 (11))))

> Or copy the definition from fortran.el and change "71" in the second
> element to whatever value you want. It should be easier to customize
> this, sorry.

> Or use f90-mode rather than fortran-mode if you are actually writing
> free-form code.

How could Emacs tell what is the value to use instead of 72 (or that there
is not such value at all)?  I.e. how do compilers know whether to interpret
the code as f77 or something else?

* Re: fortran line width & comment
@ 2007-06-12 19:32     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-12 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> How could Emacs tell what is the value to use instead of 72 (or that
> there is not such value at all)? I.e. how do compilers know whether
> to interpret the code as f77 or something else?

I think that for distinguishing free and fixed form code, compilers
just go by file extension, which is what Emacs does too. But compilers
also tend to have an option (eg g77 has -ffixed-line-length-N) whereby
the line-length of fixed form can be specified as something other than
the default 72 (often 132). I keep meaning to add an emacs variable
that has the same effect.

* Re: fortran line width & comment
@ 2008-07-18 14:44   ` berniep
       [not found]   ` <mailman.15010.1216429221.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: berniep @ 2008-07-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I tried the "setq" directive and it doesn't work for me. I don't see anywhree
in the fortran.el where this is defined.

Has this or any other solution worked for anyoone?

Using emacs 21.3.1 on Redhat.

@ 2008-07-19  1:33     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-19  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

berniep wrote:

> I tried the "setq" directive and it doesn't work for me. I don't see
> anywhree in the fortran.el where this is defined.
>
> Has this or any other solution worked for anyoone?
>
> Using emacs 21.3.1 on Redhat.

That's very old. There, use:

(eval-after-load "fortran"
  '(setq fortran-font-lock-syntactic-keywords

(line length will be customizable in Emacs 23.1).

* Re: fortran line width & comment
@ 2008-07-28 20:32       ` berniep
From: berniep @ 2008-07-28 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs