all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* microsoft and emacs control and escape  (noch ein Versuch...)
@ 2002-09-08  6:14 Di Boru
From: Di Boru @ 2002-09-08  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: diboru2

Hi - I send this message already twice ...some time
ago and wondert
that there was no response at all.... than finally,
after looking in the
archive, I saw that both are unreadable....

In short I wanted to know, if it is possible to
customize
Microsoft XP in a way, that it understands Emacs
control and
escape sequences like

C-a beginning-of-line
C-b backward-char
C-e end-of-line
C-f forward-char

and so on.....

Here my original message:

Hi all you happy unix users,

after using unix and emacs for about 15 years I
finally find myself
sitting in front of a Windows-XP system beeing most
fascinated by all the
interesting effects my unconscious use of emacs
control and escape
sequences is creating [:(] !!!

Is there any help (I am currently thinking about
switching to the handwriting
input method in order to fasten up at least a bit,
but...) ???!?

I am already using Meadow (Mule / Multi Language
Enhanced Emacs
for Windows) and cygwin (a bash shell for windows) but
there are still
all those other programs....

Thanks a lot (never giving up hope) - Dietrich

http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: microsoft and emacs control and escape  (noch ein Versuch...)
       [not found] <mailman.1031465706.22562.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-08 20:25 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-08 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Di Boru <diboru2@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi - I send this message already twice ...some time ago and wondert
> that there was no response at all.... than finally, after looking in
> the archive, I saw that both are unreadable....

Maybe there are no Windows experts reading this -- after all, we're
Emacs experts.  But I think I've seen something like this before.

What happens when you google for "emacs word keybinding"?

kai

* Re: microsoft and emacs control and escape  (noch ein Versuch...)
@ 2002-09-13 16:09   ` j.t.
From: j.t. @ 2002-09-13 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann wrote in message news:<vafn0qs44b7.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>...
> Di Boru <diboru2@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Hi - I send this message already twice ...some time ago and wondert
> > that there was no response at all.... than finally, after looking in
> > the archive, I saw that both are unreadable....
>
> Maybe there are no Windows experts reading this -- after all, we're
> Emacs experts.  But I think I've seen something like this before.
>
> What happens when you google for "emacs word keybinding"?
>
> kai

I use a tool called "Mayu" which might be relevant to this question.

http://mayu.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

The latest version is pretty stable. (I ran it on Win2000, but guess
it would be the same for XP).

j.t.

* RE: microsoft and emacs control and escape  (noch ein Versuch...)
@ 2002-09-13 17:08 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-09-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might try posting the question to the Windoze emacs list help-emacs-windows@gnu.org.  Although there are some people who belong to both lists (a few of whom believe that they should post everything to both lists regardless of the whether the question/response pertains to emacs in general or emacs on windoze, but I digress), I don't think that everyone who is on that list is on this one as well.  You might get a better response from that list.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Office: 2166                Phone: 8945
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

@ 2002-09-14 22:33 ` Syver Enstad
From: Syver Enstad @ 2002-09-14 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Di Boru <diboru2@yahoo.com> writes:

> In short I wanted to know, if it is possible to
> customize
> Microsoft XP in a way, that it understands Emacs
> control and
> escape sequences like
>
> C-a beginning-of-line
> C-b backward-char
> C-e end-of-line
> C-f forward-char
>
> and so on.....

Just use emacs for everything, and you don't have to use the XP
keybindings. :-)

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad

@ 2002-09-17 17:04 ` Artist
From: Artist @ 2002-09-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Di Boru <diboru2@yahoo.com> wrote in message > In short I wanted to know, if it is possible to
> customize
> Microsoft XP in a way, that it understands Emacs
> control
>

> after using unix and emacs for about 15 years I
> finally find myself
> sitting in front of a Windows-XP system beeing most
> fascinated by all the
> interesting effects my unconscious use of emacs
> control and escape
> sequences is creating [:(] !!!

Hi, How difficult it is to make yourself conscious in the new
environment.
We use different set of words with different people implies, we can
become conscious if we want to.

Point of Conscious view,
of
an artist

* Re: microsoft and emacs control and escape  (noch ein Versuch...)
@ 2002-09-17 17:37   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-09-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Artist> Di Boru <diboru2@yahoo.com> wrote in message > In short I
  Artist> wanted to know, if it is possible to
  >> customize Microsoft XP in a way, that it understands Emacs
  >> control
  >>

  >> after using unix and emacs for about 15 years I finally find
  >> myself sitting in front of a Windows-XP system beeing most
  >> fascinated by all the interesting effects my unconscious use of
  >> emacs control and escape sequences is creating [:(] !!!

  Artist> Hi, How difficult it is to make yourself conscious in the
  Artist> new environment.  We use different set of words with
  Artist> different people implies, we can become conscious if we want
  Artist> to.

It tends to be fairly hard. Alt+q fills a text area in emacs. And
calls "exit" on netscape. I've had to fill in several text forms a
second time because of this. Likewise Ctrl+a, Ctrl+e which alter text
justification in word, and move to the start or end of a line in
emacs.

Of course you can adapt. But its the computer and you are the
human. It should adapt to your desires, not you adapt to its.

Phil