all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode-line in emacs
@ 2003-05-27 16:59 James D
From: James D @ 2003-05-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone explain what those end-of-line (dos, unix, mac, undecided)
annotations in emacs mode-line mean? Let me put it more clearly: I know LF
is the separation of lines convention for unix, CR for mac and CRLF for dos
(CR=carriage return, LF=line feed) but still it is not obvious to me what
exactly they mean and how they affect my files. I am writing a little book
using LaTeX and some of my files are marked dos, others unix. Is the final
output influenced by these options? Are they really options? How can I
change them? Please educate me.
Thanks
James D

* Re: mode-line in emacs
@ 2003-05-27 17:24 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-05-27 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

  James> Can someone explain what those end-of-line (dos, unix, mac,
  James> undecided) annotations in emacs mode-line mean? Let me put it
  James> more clearly: I know LF is the separation of lines convention
  James> for unix, CR for mac and CRLF for dos (CR=carriage return,
  James> LF=line feed) but still it is not obvious to me what exactly
  James> they mean and how they affect my files. I am writing a little
  James> book using LaTeX and some of my files are marked dos, others
  James> unix. Is the final output influenced by these options? Are
  James> they really options? How can I change them? Please educate
  James> me.  Thanks James D

They reflect the current status of the file. They are not shown in the
line endings are the default for the system (so unix does not show on
a emacs running under unix, dos does not show on windows).

So if some of your files show "unix" and some show "dos" you are
presumably using a mac?

You probably want to find out why this is happening. Emacs will
generally cope, but having inconsistent file endings can cause havoc
with some applications.

Phil

* Re: mode-line in emacs
@ 2003-05-27 18:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-27 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

James D <nospam@please.no> writes:

> Can someone explain what those end-of-line (dos, unix, mac, undecided)
> annotations in emacs mode-line mean? Let me put it more clearly: I know LF
> is the separation of lines convention for unix, CR for mac and CRLF for dos
> (CR=carriage return, LF=line feed) but still it is not obvious to me what
> exactly they mean and how they affect my files. I am writing a little book
> using LaTeX and some of my files are marked dos, others unix. Is the final
> output influenced by these options? Are they really options? How can I
> change them? Please educate me.

Each program deals differently with the input.  So there is no
general advice that people can give.

But it seems safe to say that on Unix, Unix line-endings are likely
to cause the fewest problems.

You can type C-x RET f unix RET, then save the buffer, to change the
EOL convention of a file to Unix.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: mode-line in emacs
@ 2003-05-28  3:48   ` James D
From: James D @ 2003-05-28  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   James> Can someone explain what those end-of-line (dos, unix, mac,
>   James> undecided) annotations in emacs mode-line mean? Let me put it
>   James> more clearly: I know LF is the separation of lines convention
>   James> for unix, CR for mac and CRLF for dos (CR=carriage return,
>   James> LF=line feed) but still it is not obvious to me what exactly
>   James> they mean and how they affect my files. I am writing a little
>   James> book using LaTeX and some of my files are marked dos, others
>   James> unix. Is the final output influenced by these options? Are
>   James> they really options? How can I change them? Please educate
>   James> me.  Thanks James D
>

> They reflect the current status of the file. They are not shown in the
> line endings are the default for the system (so unix does not show on
> a emacs running under unix, dos does not show on windows).
>
> So if some of your files show "unix" and some show "dos" you are
> presumably using a mac?

Pardon me, I should have been more precise. I am using linux --when I say
some of my files show "unix" I actually mean ":", some of them may have
been created in a windows machine, though.
- - -

> You probably want to find out why this is happening. Emacs will
> generally cope, but having inconsistent file endings can cause havoc
> with some applications.
>
> Phil

I followed the instructions by Kai Großjohann (thank you Kai) and now all my
files have the unix line-endings. I think I understand a little better now,
Thank you guys.
James D