all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-12 18:10 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all

If I start a clean emacs (-q --no-site-file), and then change into a
directory with only two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS, and then hit
tab I get...

Completions

../  ./ CVS/ uk/

With java this is a pain as there are four or five levels of empty
directories before I get to the source. As I have to move up and down
these directories many times in a day, the ability to tab
automatically up and down would be fabulous.

Now before I set about writing code

a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory all
   together. That way I could move up five empty directories with five
   tabs.

b) even better, have emacs realise that there are five empty
   directories, and auto complete all the way up.

I know about completion-ignored-extensions. This includes CVS by
default, and doesn't seem to do what I need.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-13  6:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-13  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 12 Aug 2003 19:10:40 +0100
>
> If I start a clean emacs (-q --no-site-file), and then change into a
> directory with only two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS, and then hit
> tab I get...
>
> Completions
>
> ../  ./ CVS/ uk/

What command did you invoke before hitting TAB?  Was that "C-x C-f" or
something else?

> a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory all
>    together. That way I could move up five empty directories with five
>    tabs.

What version of Emacs is that?  Emacs already has "CVS/" in the value
of the variable `completion-ignored-extensions' (together with "./"
and "../", which you also see on your system), so it should ignore
those by default, unless they are the only files in the directory.
But some past versions of Emacs had a bug that would cause the
ignored directories to show anyhow.

What you ask in a) above already works for me in the CVS version of
Emacs; I'm not sure if Emacs 21.2 or 21.3 has that bug fixed, though.

> b) even better, have emacs realise that there are five empty
>    directories, and auto complete all the way up.

I don't think it is a good idea to have such a feature: a user could
have in mind creation of a file in one of the empty directories on the
way down.

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-13 18:06 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord wrote:

> Dear all
>
> If I start a clean emacs (-q --no-site-file), and then change into a
> directory with only two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS, and then hit
> tab I get...
>
> Completions
>
> ../  ./ CVS/ uk/
>

> With java this is a pain as there are four or five levels of empty
> directories before I get to the source. As I have to move up and down
> these directories many times in a day, the ability to tab
> automatically up and down would be fabulous.

How about using dired to navigate the directories?
Or using filecache.el to cache your files' locations?

> Now before I set about writing code
>
> a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory all
>    together. That way I could move up five empty directories with five
>    tabs.
>
> b) even better, have emacs realise that there are five empty
>    directories, and auto complete all the way up.
>
> I know about completion-ignored-extensions. This includes CVS by
> default, and doesn't seem to do what I need.

Does complete.el help?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-14 11:01   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-14 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kevin> Phillip Lord wrote:

  >> Dear all If I start a clean emacs (-q --no-site-file), and then
  >> change into a

  >> directory with only two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS, and then
  >> hit tab I get...  Completions

  >> ../ ./ CVS/ uk/

  >> With java this is a pain as there are four or five levels of
  >> empty

  Kevin> How about using dired to navigate the directories?

My experience with dired, is that it's slower than using tab
completion, which is not good.

  Kevin> Or using filecache.el to cache your files' locations?

filecache.el I didn't know about. It looks potentially useful though,
so I shall investigate.

  >> Now before I set about writing code
  >> a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory
  >>    all

  >> together. That way I could move up five empty directories with
  >> five tabs.
  >> b) even better, have emacs realise that there are five empty

  >> directories, and auto complete all the way up.  I know about
  >> completion-ignored-extensions. This includes CVS by

  >> default, and doesn't seem to do what I need.

  Kevin> Does complete.el help?

Not that I can see. Am I missing something?

@ 2003-08-17 17:05 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-17 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory all
>    together. That way I could move up five empty directories with five
>    tabs.

Depending on your version of Emacs, C-h v
completion-ignored-extensions RET might mention directories marked
with trailing slashes.

(add-to-list 'completion-ignored-extensions "CVS/")
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-18 10:04   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-18 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
  >> a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory
  >>    all
  >> together. That way I could move up five empty directories with
  >> five tabs.

  Kai> Depending on your version of Emacs, C-h v
  Kai> completion-ignored-extensions RET might mention directories
  Kai> marked with trailing slashes.

  Kai> (add-to-list 'completion-ignored-extensions "CVS/")

It doesn't seem to make any difference to me. I've tried putting both
"CVS" and "CVS/" into the path, and it still fails.

@ 2003-08-18 12:33     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-18 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> It doesn't seem to make any difference to me. I've tried putting both
> "CVS" and "CVS/" into the path, and it still fails.

Yeah, but please do C-h v completion-ignored-extensions RET and see
if that explicitly mentions subdirs, like mine does:

    Directories are ignored if they match any string in this list which
    ends in a slash.

If the above is not there, your Emacs is too old.
--

@ 2003-08-18 12:37       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-18 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

  >> It doesn't seem to make any difference to me. I've tried putting
  >> both "CVS" and "CVS/" into the path, and it still fails.

  Kai> Yeah, but please do C-h v completion-ignored-extensions RET and
  Kai> see if that explicitly mentions subdirs, like mine does:

  Kai>     Directories are ignored if they match any string in this
  Kai>     list which ends in a slash.

I'm sorry Kai, I misunderstood.

My Emacs does not have this paragraph in. I am running on 21.2.93.1,
which is relatively recent though.

@ 2003-08-18 13:15         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-18 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> My Emacs does not have this paragraph in. I am running on 21.2.93.1,
> which is relatively recent though.

Ah.  I just looked, it's not in 21.3, either.  So it's just in the
CVS version of Emacs.

Oh, well.  Not sure what to do now.
--

@ 2003-08-18 13:31           ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-08-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> My Emacs does not have this paragraph in. I am running on 21.2.93.1,
>> which is relatively recent though.
>
> Ah.  I just looked, it's not in 21.3, either.  So it's just in the
> CVS version of Emacs.
>
> Oh, well.  Not sure what to do now.

Strange. Emacs 21.2. The docstring does indeed not mention
directories, but "CVS/" is in the list, and it *does* work here.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-18 14:24           ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

  >> My Emacs does not have this paragraph in. I am running on
  >> 21.2.93.1, which is relatively recent though.

  Kai> Ah.  I just looked, it's not in 21.3, either.  So it's just in
  Kai> the CVS version of Emacs.

  Kai> Oh, well.  Not sure what to do now.

Wait, is I suspect, the answer!

@ 2003-08-18 14:37             ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Johan> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

  >> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
  >>
  >>> My Emacs does not have this paragraph in. I am running on
  >>> 21.2.93.1, which is relatively recent though.
  >>
  >> Ah.  I just looked, it's not in 21.3, either.  So it's just in
  >> the CVS version of Emacs.
  >>
  >> Oh, well.  Not sure what to do now.

  Johan> Strange. Emacs 21.2. The docstring does indeed not mention
  Johan> directories, but "CVS/" is in the list, and it *does* work
  Johan> here.

I've tried it with emacs -q, and it definitely does not work for me.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing....

1) C-xC-f to open a file

2) Move to a directory containing two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS/

3) Hit "tab".

4) I get *Completions* with "CVS/" offered as one of the options. What
   I want is for it to ignore CVS, and offer me the other directory.

Is this what you have?

@ 2003-08-18 15:49               ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-08-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> 1) C-xC-f to open a file
>
> 2) Move to a directory containing two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS/
>
> 3) Hit "tab".
>
> 4) I get *Completions* with "CVS/" offered as one of the options. What
>    I want is for it to ignore CVS, and offer me the other directory.
>
> Is this what you have?

GNU Emacs 21.2: Yes, same here.

But: C-h v completion-ignored-extensions RET also says:

| Documentation:
| *Completion ignores filenames ending in any string in this list.
| This variable does not affect lists of possible completions,
| but does affect the commands that actually do completions.

hmm, maybe I'm a bit dense, but I do not fully understand...
Any way it *does not* affect the presented list of completions like
the documentation says...

Robert

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-18 16:57                 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-18 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Robert> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

  >> 1) C-xC-f to open a file
  >>
  >> 2) Move to a directory containing two sub-dirs, one of which is
  >>    CVS/
  >>
  >> 3) Hit "tab".
  >>
  >> 4) I get *Completions* with "CVS/" offered as one of the
  >>    options. What
  >> I want is for it to ignore CVS, and offer me the other directory.
  >>
  >> Is this what you have?

  Robert> GNU Emacs 21.2: Yes, same here.

  Robert> But: C-h v completion-ignored-extensions RET also says:

  Robert> | Documentation: | *Completion ignores filenames ending in
  Robert> any string in this list.  | This variable does not affect
  Robert> lists of possible completions, | but does affect the
  Robert> commands that actually do completions.

  Robert> hmm, maybe I'm a bit dense, but I do not fully understand...
  Robert> Any way it *does not* affect the presented list of
  Robert> completions like the documentation says...

Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure what it means by "does affect the
commands that actually do completions". If I change into a directory
with only a single sub dir, for instance, TAB will automatically
complete this directory, which is what I want to happen!

@ 2003-08-18 17:34               ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-08-18 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> 1) C-x C-f to open a file
>
> 2) Move to a directory containing two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS/
>
> 3) Hit "tab".

4) It immediatly fills in the other directory.

However, I also noticed now that it is because I use
`partial-completion-mode' (as a side effect).

,----[ C-h f partial-completion-mode RET ]
`----

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-19 10:00           ` Dryice Liu
From: Dryice Liu @ 2003-08-19 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Ah.  I just looked, it's not in 21.3, either.  So it's just in the
> CVS version of Emacs.
>
> Oh, well.  Not sure what to do now.

Looks like ido-mode obey this and do what Phillip what.

,----[ ido mode from http://www.cua.dk/ ]
`----

--
Dryice Liu

* Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
@ 2003-08-19 11:42                 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Johan> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

  >> 1) C-x C-f to open a file
  >>
  >> 2) Move to a directory containing two sub-dirs, one of which is
  >>    CVS/
  >>
  >> 3) Hit "tab".

  Johan> 4) It immediatly fills in the other directory.

  Johan> However, I also noticed now that it is because I use
  Johan> `partial-completion-mode' (as a side effect).

Okay, this explains things. If I turn partial completion mode, then it
behaves as you describe.

@ 2003-08-19 11:44             ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-08-19 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Dryice> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

  >> Ah.  I just looked, it's not in 21.3, either.  So it's just in
  >> the CVS version of Emacs.
  >>
  >> Oh, well.  Not sure what to do now.

  Dryice> Looks like ido-mode obey this and do what Phillip what.

  Dryice> ,----[ ido mode from http://www.cua.dk/ ] | (defcustom
  Dryice> ido-ignore-extensions t | "*Non-nil means ignore files in
  Dryice> completion-ignored-extensions list."  | :type 'boolean |
  Dryice> :group 'ido) `----

So it does. I've been using ido mode for buffers for a while, but not
for files. Can't remember why I turned it off for files. I guess it's
time for me to give it a go again.

Thanks for the advice.

Phil