all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multiple Emacs Clients
@ 2002-11-04 16:31 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-11-04 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to be able to get gnuclient to direct more than one emacs
at a time.

I normally have two emacs instances open at once. One for reading mail
and news, and one for everything else. The reason for this is that
sometimes connecting to the news server or mail server is slow, and
emacs hangs while this is happening. Also I use a different .emacs for
the mail client so it starts much faster (my main emacs often takes
several minutes to start as I use desktop, and often have many files
loaded).

I use gnuclient to direct the "everything else" emacs instance. Mostly
I use this for just opening files, but occasionally more complex
things.

I'm trying out using "galeon" as a web browser. It has nice support
for interpreting "mailto:" tags by calling emacs via
gnuclient. Unfortunately this starts up in the wrong emacs.

I would like to maintain my two emacs system, and still be able to
launch mail with gnuclient.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: Multiple Emacs Clients
@ 2002-11-04 16:41 ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2002-11-04 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is possible.  Assuming you use tcp connections, you can set the
environment variable GNU_PORT differently in each emacs instance to
allow for multiple gnuserv processes.  Then you just use the -p port
option to gnuclient accordingly.  It's all in the gnuserv man page.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Multiple Emacs Clients
@ 2002-11-04 17:05   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-11-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

  David> It is possible.  Assuming you use tcp connections, you can
  David> set the environment variable GNU_PORT differently in each
  David> emacs instance to allow for multiple gnuserv processes.  Then
  David> you just use the -p port option to gnuclient accordingly.
  David> It's all in the gnuserv man page.

Hmmm. Sounds like a good idea. But having just tried it, I get a
"(void-function define-obsolete-variable-alias)" error, which I don't
normally get.

I shall investigate further tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Phil