all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* desktop height?
@ 2003-01-28  6:47 Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-01-28  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know a way to calculate the height of the desktop in elisp?

I'd like Emacs to start up with maximum height.
For that matter, I'd like XEmacs, and various OSes to work.

In Linux X Window, the following works reasonably well:

(/ (- (x-display-pixel-height) 50) (frame-char-height)))

I can get reasonably close with

(/ (x-display-pixel-height)
  (* (/ (font-default-size-for-device) 2) 3))

which works in w32 XEmacs as

(/ (x-display-pixel-height)
  (* (/ (string-to-number (font-default-size-for-device)) 2) 3))

or w32 Emacs as

(/ (x-display-pixel-height) 18)

I'd also like to hear of testing on other OSes.
If someone has a better solution, please send it!
Thanks ahead.