all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xml-mode color syntax highlighting  21.3.50.3
@ 2002-09-19 12:45 Grimnir
From: Grimnir @ 2002-09-19 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to Emacs.  I've traditionally used XEmacs.  I'm trying to get the
same behavior I am used to with XEmacs (out of the box).  The reason I'm
working with (GNU) Emacs is because it seems to be ahead WRT UTF-8 support.
This is a very important feature for me.

If I load my files in the Emacs 21.1 which shipped with SuSE, it
automatically uses color syntax highlighting.  This may result from
something SuSE did to modify their Emacs installation.  I've found some
examples of adding a bunch of stuff to the .emacs to get color syntax
highlighting, but I have the feeling there is a 'default' that I should
have available.

What is the normal behavior of Emacs?  Should it give me color syntax
highlighting in XML mode by default?  Is there a 'helper' package to go
along with psgml?

-- STH

* Re: xml-mode color syntax highlighting  21.3.50.3
@ 2002-09-20 14:17 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Grimnir <valfather@hotmail.com> writes:

> What is the normal behavior of Emacs?  Should it give me color syntax
> highlighting in XML mode by default?  Is there a 'helper' package to go
> along with psgml?

Note that you have to install psgml separately, it is not part of
Emacs.  I use xxml.el for better highlighting of XML (and SGML) files.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)