all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Button Bar
@ 2002-07-05 12:04 Edward Welbourne
From: Edward Welbourne @ 2002-07-05 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-03-22 on raven, modified by Debian
configured using `configure  i386-debian-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-gif'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I upgraded to emacs 21.
I lost a bunch of screen real-estate to a row of buttons.

I don't know what the buttons mean until I wave my mouse over them to
see the pop-up text, which reveals that I already know how to do all
those things via the key-board, except for printing stuff, which I
never do.  It's totally useless to me but I have to give up screen
estate to it, so I want it to go away.

I invoked configuration ... well, we sure have a lot of junk we can
configure, but I've no idea what this button-bar is called and I can't
see any evidence of what will make it go away.  I tried a whole load
of stuff which didn't make it go away, then used vi to restore my
.emacs to a sane state.

Please tell me the variable I need to set in my elisp to make it go
away (oh, and make sure it's something the customize-tool in later
versions mentions sometime within the first month of searching).
While we're at it, if there's some way to suppress the (not *entirely*
useless) menu-bar above it, I'd like to know that too.

I want my screen devoted to *text* !

Recent input:
C-r C-r C-r C-n C-p C-s C-w C-w C-r C-r C-x C-x C-n
M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f C-a M-f C-d SPC - M-q C-n C-x
C-s C-x o C-x k <return> C-x v = C-x o C-v C-x o C-v
C-x o M-v C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-l C-p C-p C-p C-p C-b
<backspace> <tab> <M-backspace> b u <tab> g <tab> <M-backspace>

Recent messages:
Creating customization buffer...done
Mark saved where search started
Wrote /home/eddy/work/qt-embed/url2/argsplit.cpp
Mark saved where search started
Auto-saving...done
Wrote /home/eddy/work/qt-embed/url2/argsplit.cpp
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Wrote /home/eddy/work/qt-embed/url2/argsplit.cpp
Making completion list... [3 times]

* Re: Button Bar
@ 2002-07-05 12:22 ` Paul Stoeber
From: Paul Stoeber @ 2002-07-05 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 02:04:25PM +0200, Edward Welbourne wrote:
> I want my screen devoted to *text* !

`(menu-bar-mode 0)' turns off the menu bar on character screens
and in X.

`(tool-bar-mode 0)' turns off the tool bar in X.

`emacs --no-windows' avoids graphical elements entirely,
as does not using X. ;-)

* Re: Button Bar
@ 2002-07-05 13:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

eddy@opera.no (Edward Welbourne) writes:

> I upgraded to emacs 21.
> I lost a bunch of screen real-estate to a row of buttons.

Please read the NEWS file after upgrading Emacs.  It tells you about
all kinds of interesting things, including how to turn off the
tool-bar.

M-x customize-variable RET tool-bar-mode RET

kai

* Re: Button Bar
@ 2002-07-05 13:17   ` Edward Welbourne
From: Edward Welbourne @ 2002-07-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Thank you ;^)
I'll leave you to imagine how *annoyed* I had to get before reporting
*that* as a bug ... the remedy is proportionately welcome.

> `emacs --no-windows' avoids graphical elements entirely,
> as does not using X. ;-)

ah, but with X I get 59 lines (plus a mode-line and minibuffer line)
of width 162, or C-x 3 gives me two 78-column windows side-by-side -
and this can only be improved when I finally sort out my mangled XF86
config (or give up and chose smaller fonts) - whereas the raw terminal
only gives me 22 lines in one 79-column window (albeit with nice big
friendly fonts).  I can do the same with -nw in a big xterm (53 lines,
167 columns or twice 81), but the little subtle irritants get to me in
the end.  Having a Real Solution is the Right Answer.  Making it
easier to find in customization would help, too.

Keep up the good work,

	Eddy.