all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode
       [not found] <GZ7KN5$5DF507279508F5F253C76A78892920A8@voila.fr>
@ 2002-07-14 14:13 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-14 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"arthur.chereau" <arthur.chereau@voila.fr> writes:

> When I insert
>
> (setq backup-by-copying t)
>
> (require 'jka-compr)
> (auto-compression-mode 1)
>
> in my .emacs, the backup is still done by moving (inode,
> permissions, etc change) and there is no automatic decompression
> when I open a gzipped file.

Dunno about the backup, but is the gzipped file named *.gz?  I think
that auto-compression-mode looks at the filename.

kai

* Re: Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode
       [not found] <GZ8X5V$A2183B93A3F3C8B0D86CBE7EB0448623@voila.fr>
@ 2002-07-14 19:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-14 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"arthur.chereau" <arthur.chereau@voila.fr> writes:

> Yes, the gzipped file is a .gz file.
> What's strange is that auto-compression-mode *is* set to 1, but:
> - the "Automatic File De/compression" button is not pushed
> - if I click on it it says "Auto compression mode disabled", so it knows that the old value was 1
> - there is no automatic decompression when I open a *.gz gzipped file.

Hm.  What happens if you M-x auto-compression-mode RET twice?  Maybe
that turns it first off and then on again.

What happens if you comment out the (require 'jka-compr) statement in
.emacs?  It's not necessary.

Otherwise, all looks good.  Hm.

kai

* Re: Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode
       [not found] <GZAC0S$EE56132A79C24CEAD84DB0CFEE9DD56D@voila.fr>
@ 2002-07-15 12:02 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-15 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"arthur.chereau" <arthur.chereau@voila.fr> writes:

> I finally found why I had this stange behavior:  there were a (setq
> file-name-handler-alist nil) after (auto-compression-mode
> 1). Placing file-name-handler-alist before auto-compression-mode
> made it work.

Don't do that :-)  auto-compression-mode makes entries in
file-name-handler-alist, so clearly frobbing that variable will do
strange things.

> I still have a problem with (setq backup-by-copying t) only working
> for root, not for other users. I tried setting
> backup-by-copying-when-mismatch but it didn't helped.

Hm.  Can you reproduce this with "emacs -q -no-site-file", then
setting the variable manually?

kai