all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pbm trying to patch 21.1 into 21.2
@ 2002-09-03 19:32 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-09-03 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

pwd
/myexternals/david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1

sh /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff
  Looks like a new-style context diff.
File to patch:
^C

--- THAT (above) *IS* the problem:
the "Looks like ...",
then it's asking me "file to patch" -- just what
am I supposed to type in for that?

And yes, within that .diff-script, the diff that's
being called is GNU diff:

diff - GNU diffutils version 2.7

And, I couldn't find the string "File to patch"
in the .diff-script.

Just to see the options, here's a diff-call from
the script:

$DIFF -2rcpP --exclude=info/* --exclude=*.elc --exclude=*.aux --exclude=*.cps --exclude=*.fns --exclude=*.kys --exclude=*.vrs emacs-21.1/etc/SERVICE emacs-21.2/etc/SERVICE

With these options from the diff man-page:

       -lines Show  lines  (an  integer)  lines of context.  This
              option does not specify an output format by itself;
              it  has  no effect unless it is combined with -c or
              -u.  This option is obsolete.   For  proper  opera-
              tion,  patch  typically needs at least two lines of
              context.

       -r     When comparing directories, recursively compare any
              subdirectories found.

       -c     Use the context output format.

       -p     Show which C function each change is in.

       -P     When  comparing directories, if a file appears only
              in the second directory of the  two,  treat  it  as
              present but empty in the other.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

* Re: pbm trying to patch 21.1 into 21.2
@ 2002-09-03 21:52 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> sh /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff
>   Looks like a new-style context diff.
> File to patch:
> ^C
>
> --- THAT (above) *IS* the problem:
> the "Looks like ...",
> then it's asking me "file to patch" -- just what
> am I supposed to type in for that?

If you look closely at the diff, you'll see that it contains
filenames.  Usually the problem is that you are in the wrong
directories for these filenames: the filename in the diff might be
a/b/c but you're inside the a directory so that b/c is the right
filename.  If you can't change directories to make it work, you can
try to pass the "-p" argument to diff which strips off leading slashes
from filenames.  (I never really understood how it worked, though.  I
usually start with -p0 and then try alternatives -p1, -p2, ... until I
find one that works.)

Instead of doing sh on the file, you could also do patch on the file:

    patch < /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff

kai

* Re: pbm trying to patch 21.1 into 21.2
@ 2002-09-04  5:44   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2002-09-04  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <vaflm6i211h.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>,
Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> sh /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff
>>   Looks like a new-style context diff.
>> File to patch:
>> ^C
>>
>> --- THAT (above) *IS* the problem:
>> the "Looks like ...",
>> then it's asking me "file to patch" -- just what
>> am I supposed to type in for that?
>
>If you look closely at the diff, you'll see that it contains
>filenames.  Usually the problem is that you are in the wrong
>directories for these filenames: the filename in the diff might be
>a/b/c but you're inside the a directory so that b/c is the right
>filename.  If you can't change directories to make it work, you can
>try to pass the "-p" argument to diff which strips off leading slashes
>from filenames.  (I never really understood how it worked, though.  I
>usually start with -p0 and then try alternatives -p1, -p2, ... until I
>find one that works.)
>
>Instead of doing sh on the file, you could also do patch on the file:
>
>    patch < /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff
>
>kai

OK, will try that (run via patch).

Meanwhile, I've grepped and done strings | grep
on that "Looks like" and can find it nowhere.

From all the patches and diff-running you've done
to emacs over the years, do you have *any* clue
as to where that error-string comes from?

Because if I can find that, then maybe I can find
what causes it to get typed out; that "Looks like"
sure isn't very helpful!  (at least to me!)

---

I thought that I had cd'd to the right place: here's
an actual attempt to run the thing:

| File to patch: 115 ==/myexternals/david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1==> !sh
| sh /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff
| /opt5/local/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local-make-3.77/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local-gcc-2.95.2/bin:/usr/local-perl-5.6.1/bin:/usr/local/bin:/myexternals/opt/Acrobat3.2/bin:/myexternals/opt/gnu/bin/:/opt/NSCPcom
| diff - GNU diffutils version 2.7
|   Looks like a new-style context diff.
| File to patch: 116 ==/myexternals/david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1==>

Note that I've got my prompt showing the name of the
current directory.

Now, here's the top of that .diff file (NOTE: "dkc" is me):

| #!/bin/sh
| #### Patch script - GNU Emacs - version 21.1 to 21.2.
|
| #### This file contains patches to turn version 21.1 of GNU Emacs into
| #### 21.2.  To apply them, cd to the top of the Emacs source tree, and
| #### then type 'sh <this file>'.
|
| #### After this script applies the patches, it will attempt to use an
| #### existing Emacs to recompile the changed Emacs Lisp files.  (You may
| #### use the environment variable $emacs to specify the location of the
| #### binary, if it's not in your search path.)  When this is finished,
| #### you can build the new Emacs version.
|
| #### We don't include patches for Info files since you can
| #### regenerate them from the Texinfo files that we do include.
| #### To update the changed info files, do
| #### (cd man; make)
|

| # dkc added this on 3sep02, to make it call GNU's diff:
| #
| PATH=/opt5/local/bin:''$PATH  ;  export PATH
| echo $PATH
| #
| # and so all the $DIFF's would still work:
| DIFF=diff  ;  export DIFF
| $DIFF -v
| #
|

| if [ "$0" = sh -o ! -f "$0" ]; then
|   echo "use \`sh PATCHKIT', not \`sh <PATCHKIT'" >&2
|   exit 1
| fi
| if [ -d lisp ] ; then
|   me=$0
| elif [ -d emacs-21.1/lisp ] ; then
|   cd emacs-21.1
|   case $0 in /*) me=$0;; *) me=../$0;; esac
| else
|   (echo "$0: In order to apply this patch, the current directory"
|    echo "must be the top of the Emacs distribution tree.") >&2
|   exit 1
| fi

Also note that I didn't get the above error-msg
saying that must be at the top of the ... tree --
so, I must have been cd's to the right place,
no?

Thanks for any more hints you can dream up.

This 21.1, without patches, is REALLY SCREWY --
at least in search commands (C-s, C-M s) --
strange window appears mid search, *not*
showing the desired string, but on the
*second* search (for that same pat), ie
by merely hitting again C-s or C-M-s,
this time with no pattern, *then* it
finds it.  Only *even* search-attempts.

Further, it often *misses* (skips over)
the string I was looking, but finds
the *first* one it found, way back
*earlier* in the file from where
I started *this* search -- ie, it's
WRAPPED (it sure appears to have,
anyway), but it says NOTHING about
having just "wrapped".

So wierd that I've taken to using
M-x Occur!

----

Did anyone else have problems like this
before moving on from 20.1 to 20.2?

@ 2002-09-04 12:10     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-04 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Meanwhile, I've grepped and done strings | grep
> on that "Looks like" and can find it nowhere.
>
> From all the patches and diff-running you've done
> to emacs over the years, do you have *any* clue
> as to where that error-string comes from?

The "Looks like" looks like it's coming from the program "patch".
It's not an error.  Just a piece of information.

You can also look at the patch (diff) yourself if it's a new-style
context diff.  Then you know whether the "patch" program has made the
right decision.

kai