all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-11-16 19:09 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have \usepackage{amsmath} in my document, and C-c C-e offers me
completions like align and gather.  Good.

But C-c C-m does NOT offer \operatorname or \vskip.

What's the story?

kai

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-12 20:49 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-12-12 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 16 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I have \usepackage{amsmath} in my document, and C-c C-e offers me
> completions like align and gather.  Good.
>
> But C-c C-m does NOT offer \operatorname or \vskip.
>
> What's the story?

\operatorname was missing in `amsopm.el'.  I added it in CVS now.

IIRC \vskip isn't a LaTeX command (it's plain TeX), maybe you want to
use \vspace instead?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-12 22:05   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 16 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
> > I have \usepackage{amsmath} in my document, and C-c C-e offers me
> > completions like align and gather.  Good.
> >
> > But C-c C-m does NOT offer \operatorname or \vskip.
> >
> > What's the story?
>
> \operatorname was missing in `amsopm.el'.  I added it in CVS now.
>
> IIRC \vskip isn't a LaTeX command (it's plain TeX), maybe you want to
> use \vspace instead?

This is AUC TeX, head development speaking.  If somebody puts
completion for \vskip, \hbox, \vbox, \halign, \valign and a number of
other stuff into the normal LaTeX modes, I will rip it right out
again.  We may discuss a special combined TeX/LaTeX completions
editing mode when you are working on *.sty files, but for normal LaTeX
source, the user should not get to see stuff he is definitely not
supposed to be using.

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-13  8:49     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:

> This is AUC TeX, head development speaking.  If somebody puts
> completion for \vskip, \hbox, \vbox, \halign, \valign and a number of
> other stuff into the normal LaTeX modes, I will rip it right out
> again.

Okay, okay.  I think the example was wrong.  I don't quite remember
which other macros I was looking for and missed.  But I remember that
I thought that this was not an unusual macro to use.  I'll post again
when I stumble across the situation again.

However, given my (lack of) TeXnique, it's quite possible that I'm
just using the wrong macros.  We'll see...

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-13  9:35       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-13  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:
>
> > This is AUC TeX, head development speaking.  If somebody puts
> > completion for \vskip, \hbox, \vbox, \halign, \valign and a number of
> > other stuff into the normal LaTeX modes, I will rip it right out
> > again.
>
> Okay, okay.  I think the example was wrong.  I don't quite remember
> which other macros I was looking for and missed.  But I remember that
> I thought that this was not an unusual macro to use.  I'll post again
> when I stumble across the situation again.

Please do.  We need every improvement we can get.  Other worthwhile
tasks:
a) support for most standard packages, such as "tools"
b) support for ConTeXt
c) easy support for "classical" keybindings for coaxing the obstinate
d) support for all "standard" commands crosschecked
e) help texts for all standard LaTeX2e error messages
f) a good extensible syntax highlighting scheme for packages and of
course, use of it.

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-13 14:57     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-12-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 12 2002, David Kastrup wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:
[...]
>> IIRC \vskip isn't a LaTeX command (it's plain TeX), maybe you want to
>> use \vspace instead?
>
> This is AUC TeX, head development speaking.  If somebody puts
> completion for \vskip, \hbox, \vbox, \halign, \valign and a number of
> other stuff into the normal LaTeX modes, I will rip it right out
> again.

There's no doubt about this. ;-)

> We may discuss a special combined TeX/LaTeX completions editing mode
> when you are working on *.sty files,

Support for DocStrip files would be cool: completion, indenting,
font-lock, etc.

> but for normal LaTeX source, the user should not get to see stuff he
> is definitely not supposed to be using.

ACK.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-13 22:05         ` Matthias Rempe
From: Matthias Rempe @ 2002-12-13 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
        [...]
    >> Okay, okay.  I think the example was wrong.  I don't quite
    >> remember which other macros I was looking for and missed.  But
    >> I remember that I thought that this was not an unusual macro to
    >> use.  I'll post again when I stumble across the situation
    >> again.

    > Please do.  We need every improvement we can get.  Other

I've noticed that behavior before, too, and I think I can reproduce
it:

  If I create a new file and insert my skeleton-scrartcl definition,
  then AUC-TeX does not know e.g. \minisec, \headincludeon and all
  macros of the packages that are mentioned in the skeleton
  definition.

The reason is that no style hooks are applied. After saving and
reloading the file the macros work.

--
Matthias

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-13 22:57           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-13 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Rempe <mhrempe@web.de> writes:

>     > kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>         [...]
>     >> Okay, okay.  I think the example was wrong.  I don't quite
>     >> remember which other macros I was looking for and missed.  But
>     >> I remember that I thought that this was not an unusual macro to
>     >> use.  I'll post again when I stumble across the situation
>     >> again.
>
>     > Please do.  We need every improvement we can get.  Other
>
> I've noticed that behavior before, too, and I think I can reproduce
> it:
>
>   If I create a new file and insert my skeleton-scrartcl definition,
>   then AUC-TeX does not know e.g. \minisec, \headincludeon and all
>   macros of the packages that are mentioned in the skeleton
>   definition.
>
> The reason is that no style hooks are applied. After saving and
> reloading the file the macros work.

That's what C-c C-n is for.

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-14  0:00             ` Matthias Rempe
From: Matthias Rempe @ 2002-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Matthias Rempe <mhrempe@web.de> writes:

    >> The reason is that no style hooks are applied. After saving and
    >> reloading the file the macros work.

    > That's what C-c C-n is for.

Uuhh, interesting. (Und wirste auch so alt wie 'ne Kuh,...)
That keystrokes solve some of my problems, thank you.

Just for curiosity: Why is TeX-normal-mode bound to two different
keys (C-c C-n and C-c #)?

--
Matthias

* Re: AUC-TeX completion fails to offer some possibilities
@ 2002-12-14  0:22               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-14  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     > Matthias Rempe <mhrempe@web.de> writes:
>
>     >> The reason is that no style hooks are applied. After saving and
>     >> reloading the file the macros work.
>
>     > That's what C-c C-n is for.
>
> Uuhh, interesting. (Und wirste auch so alt wie 'ne Kuh,...)
> That keystrokes solve some of my problems, thank you.
>
> Just for curiosity: Why is TeX-normal-mode bound to two different
> keys (C-c C-n and C-c #)?

Probably historical.