all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* stop resizing after toolbar and menubar off
@ 2006-05-23  9:21 Tim
From: Tim @ 2006-05-23  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm turning off my menubar and toolbar and have been for a while using:

(menu-bar-mode 0)
(tool-bar-mode 0)

But, I've just started to use speedbar too :) Now, the problem is I'm
starting up speedbar at the end of my .emacs file which starts speedbar
ok, but with one little annoyance...

When speedbar starts it sizes itself the same height as the main frame,
but, the menu and tool bars don't remove themselves until after .emacs
has been completed, which is after the speedbar has sized itself.

This leaves the speedbar longer than the height of the main window :(

Anyone any ideas how I can fix/work around this?

Thanks,

Tim

* Re: stop resizing after toolbar and menubar off
@ 2006-05-23  9:28 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-05-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim <tim@mr-dog.net> writes:

> I'm turning off my menubar and toolbar and have been for a while using:
>
> (menu-bar-mode 0)
> (tool-bar-mode 0)
>
> But, I've just started to use speedbar too :) Now, the problem is I'm
> starting up speedbar at the end of my .emacs file which starts
> speedbar ok, but with one little annoyance...
>
> When speedbar starts it sizes itself the same height as the main
> frame, but, the menu and tool bars don't remove themselves until after
> .emacs has been completed, which is after the speedbar has sized
> itself.
>
> This leaves the speedbar longer than the height of the main window :(
>
> Anyone any ideas how I can fix/work around this?

Use X resources for removing menu bar and tool bar.

See

(info "(emacs) X resources")
 Press C-x C-e here --------^

* Re: stop resizing after toolbar and menubar off
@ 2006-05-23 10:00   ` Tim
From: Tim @ 2006-05-23 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> Tim <tim@mr-dog.net> writes:
>
>> I'm turning off my menubar and toolbar and have been for a while using:
>>
>> (menu-bar-mode 0)
>> (tool-bar-mode 0)
>>
>> But, I've just started to use speedbar too :) Now, the problem is I'm
>> starting up speedbar at the end of my .emacs file which starts
>> speedbar ok, but with one little annoyance...
>>
>> When speedbar starts it sizes itself the same height as the main
>> frame, but, the menu and tool bars don't remove themselves until after
>> .emacs has been completed, which is after the speedbar has sized
>> itself.
>>
>> This leaves the speedbar longer than the height of the main window :(
>>
>> Anyone any ideas how I can fix/work around this?
>
> Use X resources for removing menu bar and tool bar.
>
> See
>
> (info "(emacs) X resources")
>  Press C-x C-e here --------^

Perfect! Thank you! (btw, the above caused an lisp error here!?, but
searched within info and found it though :).

Cheers,

@ 2006-05-23 13:20     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 23 2006, Tim wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> (info "(emacs) X resources")
>>  Press C-x C-e here --------^
>
> Perfect! Thank you! (btw, the above caused an lisp error here!?,

The info node has been renamed in Emacs 22 (CVS).  In Emacs 21 it is
(info "(emacs)Resources X").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,