all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* give C-s argument from kill ring
@ 2004-06-21 13:42 Simon Strobl
From: Simon Strobl @ 2004-06-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

how can I give C-s a string from the kill ring as argument?

Simon

* Re: give C-s argument from kill ring
@ 2004-06-21 15:14 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-06-21 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 21 2004, Simon Strobl wrote:

> how can I give C-s a string from the kill ring as argument?

See the doc-string of `C-s' (C-h k C-s) or the manual:

,----[ (info "(emacs)Incremental Search") ]
|    The character `M-y' copies text from the kill ring into the search
| string.  It uses the same text that `C-y' as a command would yank.
| `Mouse-2' in the echo area does the same.  *Note Yanking::.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: give C-s argument from kill ring
@ 2004-06-22  7:29   ` Simon Strobl
From: Simon Strobl @ 2004-06-22  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Incremental Search") ]
> |    The character `M-y' copies text from the kill ring into the search
> | string.  It uses the same text that `C-y' as a command would yank.
> | `Mouse-2' in the echo area does the same.  *Note Yanking::.
> `----

Thanks a lot.

@ 2004-07-09 17:40 ` Paul W. Joireman
From: Paul W. Joireman @ 2004-07-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Strobl wrote:

>Hello,
>
>how can I give C-s a string from the kill ring as argument?
>
>Simon

Hi,

Copy to the kill ring with M-w, perform a search with C-s, and copy the
previous
argument from the kill ring with M-y, not C-y.   This worked on Emacs
21.2.1 on Windows
and 21.1.1 under solaris.  Don'y ask me why C-y doesn't work, I don't know.

Paul

* Re: give C-s argument from kill ring
@ 2004-07-09 21:43   ` Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2004-07-09 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul W. Joireman" <joireman@fnal.gov> wrote in message
> Simon Strobl wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >how can I give C-s a string from the kill ring as argument?
> >
> >Simon
> >

> Hi,
>
> Copy to the kill ring with M-w, perform a search with C-s, and copy the
> previous
> argument from the kill ring with M-y, not C-y.   This worked on Emacs
> 21.2.1 on Windows
> and 21.1.1 under solaris.  Don'y ask me why C-y doesn't work, I don't
know.

Because C-y is bound to isearch-yank-line in

isearch-mode-map
Keymap for `isearch-mode'.