all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Run an external program on the file visited in current buffer
@ 2006-04-19 15:05 Suttles, Andrew
From: Suttles, Andrew @ 2006-04-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> Do you realise what an idiot this makes you look?

No. I didn't realize that.

> How about taking responsibility for the tools you use and setting them
up > properly?  (Hint: Microsoft programs are suboptimal for composing
articles > for mailing lists.)

I'm sorry my posting had extra characters in it.  I do all my work on a
local UNIX LAN, but a few MS computers have been set up for us to use
for e-mail.  I'm not very familiar with MS Windows (or newsgroups for
that matter). I didn't know that MS e-mail is filled with extra junk - I
don't see it on my machine.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I won't post to the newsgroup any more.

* Re: Run an external program on the file visited in current buffer
       [not found] <mailman.572.1145459147.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-19 15:27 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2006-04-19 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:05:41 -0400, Suttles, Andrew wrote:

> I won't post to the newsgroup any more.

Instead you might want to try e.g. "40tude Dialog". It is free for
non-commertial purposes and doesn't mess up the "hidden part" of your post
-- I think.

* Re: Run an external program on the file visited in current buffer
@ 2006-04-19 15:45   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-04-19 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Tury" <tury.peter@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:05:41 -0400, Suttles, Andrew wrote:
>
> > I won't post to the newsgroup any more.
>
> Instead you might want to try e.g. "40tude Dialog". It is free for
> non-commertial purposes and doesn't mess up the "hidden part" of your
post
> -- I think.

Or in Outlook Express just Tools > Options > Send > plain text (instead of
html) at least for news sending format.  There have to be similar settings
in other programs (Thunderbird, etc.) I didn't see the offending garbage
here. So don't go away, just make sure the settings are right before
posting. It doesn't take a reboot, just click on apply at the lower right
of the Options dialog.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to help you with your main problem. I
don't even know what (prong.... means. Is that a subfork? ;-)

Ed

* Re: Run an external program on the file visited in current buffer
@ 2006-04-19 16:09   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-19 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 19 2006, Peter Tury wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:05:41 -0400, Suttles, Andrew wrote:
>
>> I won't post to the newsgroup any more.
>
> Instead you might want to try e.g. "40tude Dialog". It is free for
> non-commertial purposes [...]

That isn't Free Software <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>.
As we are on a GNU and Emacs list/newsgroup, it would make more sense
to recommend a free, emacs-based mail- or newsreader such Gnus (news
and mail), MH-E (mail) or Rmail (mail).  Additionally those are
already installed on his system as he already has Emacs.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)