all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-11-29 23:26 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-11-29 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to build emacs-21.4 from the sources on an AMD64 machine
running GNU/Linux (Mandrake 9.2). I tried to configure it using
separate build directory, but configure failed:

$ ../emacs-21.4/configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' systems.
Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.

Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
upgrade). Also the the GNU emacs home page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

says:

Supported Platforms

   Emacs 21 runs on these operating systems regardless of the machine
   type:
     * AIX 4.3.3 and higher
     * FreeBSD
     * GNU/Linux

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-11-30 13:39 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-30 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> $ ../emacs-21.4/configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' systems.
> Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>
> Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
> upgrade).

Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ by a single security fix.  Probably
Mandrake has already fixed this problem in their emacs-21.3 package
without increasing the version to 21.4.  Here on SuSE 9.2:

,----
| $ rpm -q --changelog emacs|less +/movemail
|
| * Fri Feb 04 2005 - werner@suse.de
|
| - Security fix for movemail applied (bug #50237)
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-12-02 20:40 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-12-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>
> > $ ../emacs-21.4/configure
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
> > systems.
> > Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>
> > Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
> > upgrade).
>
> Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ by a single security fix.  Probably
> Mandrake has already fixed this problem in their emacs-21.3 package
> without increasing the version to 21.4.  Here on SuSE 9.2:
>
> ,----
> | $ rpm -q --changelog emacs|less +/movemail
> |
> | * Fri Feb 04 2005 - address@hidden
> |
> | - Security fix for movemail applied (bug #50237)
> `----

Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
I need to build it from sources.

Also, I think that other folks would like to know if GNU Emacs is
supported on AMD64.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
       [not found] <mailman.17691.1133556187.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-03  3:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-03  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
> that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
> I need to build it from sources.

If you intend to write the patch yourself and to distribute it, you may want
to start from the Emacs-CVS code.  Which works just fine on AMD64.

@ 2005-12-05 18:47 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2005-12-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:40:45 +0100 (CET),
Waldek Hebisch <hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> Reiner Steib wrote:
>>On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>>
>>> $ ../emacs-21.4/configure
>>> creating cache ./config.cache
>>> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
>>> systems.
>>> Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>>
>>> Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
>>> upgrade).
>>
>> Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ by a single security fix.  Probably
>> Mandrake has already fixed this problem in their emacs-21.3 package
>> without increasing the version to 21.4.  Here on SuSE 9.2:
>>
>> ,----
>> | $ rpm -q --changelog emacs|less +/movemail
>> |
>> | * Fri Feb 04 2005 - address@hidden
>> |
>> | - Security fix for movemail applied (bug #50237)
>> `----
>
> Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
> that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
> I need to build it from sources.
>
> Also, I think that other folks would like to know if GNU Emacs is
> supported on AMD64.

I'm running the CVS version of Emacs on FreeBSD/amd64 since several
weeks ago, after the emacs-devel people reviewed the source changes I
made to make it buildable on FreeBSD/amd64.

This diff:
http://people.freebsd.org/~keramida/emacs/22/freebsd-amd64+libgcc.patch

includes all the changes I keep locally for running cvs-emacs on amd64,
until they are committed to the Emacs source tree.

I don't know what sort of support you would be satisfied with, or if
your local environment allows running the current development version of
Emacs out of CVS, but my own experience so far suggests that the people
who frequent the emacs-devel mailing list are quite helpful and reply
very fast to any queries I make; that's all I need to run Emacs on my
FreeBSD/amd64 systems :)

- Giorgos

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-12-06  0:36 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-12-06  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
> > that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
> > I need to build it from sources.
>
> If you intend to write the patch yourself and to distribute it, you may want
> to start from the Emacs-CVS code.  Which works just fine on AMD64.

Yes, Emacs-CVS builds fine. Thanks. BTW, also tried with emacs-21.4. I
took the file `src/m/amdx86-64.h' form Emacs-CVS and added the
`x86_64-*-linux-gnu' case to configure. Then I was able to build
emacs-21.4, with just one glitch: the Makfile tried to build alloca.o
from assembly source which failed. After providing "empty" alloca.o to
build finished OK.

I want to install cursor patch that you have posted:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2005-10/msg00886.html

I works fine for me.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-12-07  1:06 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-12-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> I'm running the CVS version of Emacs on FreeBSD/amd64 since several
> weeks ago, after the emacs-devel people reviewed the source changes I
> made to make it buildable on FreeBSD/amd64.

Emacs-CVS builds out of the box on AMD64 Linux, only release version
has problems. I managed to build release version after some tweaks,
so I will probably stick ot it (I prefer to use the same emacs version
on all machines that I use).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
       [not found] <mailman.18230.1133917961.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-07 12:14 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2005-12-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 01:06:43 Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> I'm running the CVS version of Emacs on FreeBSD/amd64 since several
>> weeks ago, after the emacs-devel people reviewed the source changes I
>> made to make it buildable on FreeBSD/amd64.
>
> Emacs-CVS builds out of the box on AMD64 Linux, only release version
> has problems.

I know.  The CVS version of Emacs contains explicit checks for Linux on
x86_64 or amd64; that's why.

Part of this week's work will be to build a cvs-emacs copy on Solaris
running on sparc64, amd64 and i386.  Then I'll have the same version of
Emacs on all the machines I use too :)

- Giorgos