all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
@ 2007-07-18 19:11 David Crick
From: David Crick @ 2007-07-18 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

A couple of questions about some things that have changed
for me.

(1) In Emacs 21 I used the following .emacs lines:

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)

However, in 22 it appears these functions now "toggle," and
I receive the message (e.g.):

Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.

What are the revised lines I should be using in 22 please?

(2) Second question is about font coloring in the mini-buffer
line.  Some parts are now displayed in dark blue text, e.g. if
I type M-x then that is echoed back to me in dark blue, and
then anything I type after it is gray.  As I use a black terminal
background the dark blue is difficult to see; in 21 the entire
line was gray.  What option can I set to change the blue text?

Thanks!

* Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
@ 2007-07-18 19:28 ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2007-07-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:11:42 +0100 David Crick <dacrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> (1) In Emacs 21 I used the following .emacs lines:
>
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)
>
> However, in 22 it appears these functions now "toggle," and
> I receive the message (e.g.):
>
> Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
>
> What are the revised lines I should be using in 22 please?

I have used the following in both 21 and 22.  Modify to taste.

;; For text mode, which is my default, and derivatives
;;
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda ()
			    (turn-on-auto-fill)
			    (flyspell-mode t)))

allan

* Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
@ 2007-07-18 19:32 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-18 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Crick; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2007 um 21:11 schrieb David Crick:

> (1) In Emacs 21 I used the following .emacs lines:
>
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)
> What are the revised lines I should be using in 22 please?

I think: forget the first line!

> (2) Second question is about font coloring in the mini-buffer
> line.  Some parts are now displayed in dark blue text, e.g. if
> I type M-x then that is echoed back to me in dark blue, and
> then anything I type after it is gray.  As I use a black terminal
> background the dark blue is difficult to see; in 21 the entire
> line was gray.  What option can I set to change the blue text?

You can customise it, for example:

	'(minibuffer-prompt ((t (:background "yellow" :foreground "dark
red" :weight bold))))

BTW, you can search for minibuffer related customise options ... (and
other)

--
Greetings

              ~  O
   Pete       ~~_\\_/%
              ~  O  o

* Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
       [not found] <mailman.3603.1184785911.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-18 20:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> A couple of questions about some things that have changed
> for me.

> (1) In Emacs 21 I used the following .emacs lines:

> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)

> However, in 22 it appears these functions now "toggle," and

They've always toggled AFAIK.  No change on this side.

> I receive the message (e.g.):
> Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.

What has changed is that in Emacs-22, when the toggle turns things off,
Emacs warns the user rather than doing it silently.

You could do:

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook
          (lambda () (flyspell-mode t) (refill-mode t)))

> (2) Second question is about font coloring in the mini-buffer
> line.  Some parts are now displayed in dark blue text, e.g. if
> I type M-x then that is echoed back to me in dark blue, and
> then anything I type after it is gray.  As I use a black terminal
> background the dark blue is difficult to see; in 21 the entire
> line was gray.  What option can I set to change the blue text?

You don't want to change that face, then.  Instead you want to tell Emacs
that your terminal's background is dark.  See C-h v `frame-background-mode'.

* Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
@ 2007-07-18 20:55   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-18 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 18 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> You could do:
>
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook
>           (lambda () (flyspell-mode t) (refill-mode t)))
            (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1) (refill-mode 1)))

... according to the doc strings (Yes, t work's as well, but the
positive arg is recommended, isn't it?).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
@ 2007-07-18 21:51 David Crick
From: David Crick @ 2007-07-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you to both Allan and Peter.

The following helped restore my 21 preferences:

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook (lambda ()
                           (refill-mode t)
                           (flyspell-mode t)))

(setq minibuffer-prompt-properties nil)

* Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
@ 2007-07-19  3:11     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-19  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook
>> (lambda () (flyspell-mode t) (refill-mode t)))
>             (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1) (refill-mode 1)))

> ... according to the doc strings (Yes, t work's as well, but the
> positive arg is recommended, isn't it?).

Very good point, indeed.

@ 2007-07-19 13:28 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-07-19 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 18 Jul, 20:11, "David Crick" <dacr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell)

> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook (lambda () (refill-mode
1)))

> As I use a black terminal
> background the dark blue is difficult to see; in 21 the entire
> line was gray.  What option can I set to change the blue text?

How do you set the background? Emacs should automatically use cyan on
a dark background, the fact it is using dark blue suggests that it
thinks you have a light background. If that is the case, then rather
than customizing each individual face (running into the hundreds if
you have to change them all), it would be better to figure out why
emacs doesn't know your background is dark, and fix that.

@ 2007-07-20  4:20 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-07-20  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"David Crick" <dacrick@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> A couple of questions about some things that have changed
> for me.
>
> (1) In Emacs 21 I used the following .emacs lines:
>
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)
>
> However, in 22 it appears these functions now "toggle," and
> I receive the message (e.g.):
>
> Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
>
> What are the revised lines I should be using in 22 please?
>

> (2) Second question is about font coloring in the mini-buffer
> line.  Some parts are now displayed in dark blue text, e.g. if
> I type M-x then that is echoed back to me in dark blue, and
> then anything I type after it is gray.  As I use a black terminal
> background the dark blue is difficult to see; in 21 the entire
> line was gray.  What option can I set to change the blue text?

When upgrading to a new version of Emacs, its highly recommended you read the
NEWS and PROBLEMS files that come with it. The NEWS file lists user visible and
elisp changes (and often explains how to revert to earlier behavior). the
PROBLEMS file contains information about known problems or issues with the new
version.

A quick scan of these two files can save you a lot of time. For example, I do
remember seeing information about the mini buffer colours and how to customize
them. Its likely the other two issues you mention are also covered.

regards,

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au