all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: smtp-openssl.el
       [not found] <u3aw2kkv1.fsf@newcastle.ac.uk>
@ 2007-10-24 19:49 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-24 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord, Simon Josefsson, help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: gnu.emacs.sources

[ Please direct responses to
  gnu.emacs.help/gmane.emacs.help/help-gnu-emacs<at>gnu.org, not to
  gnu.emacs.sources/gmane.emacs.sources/gnu.emacs.sources<at>gnu.org ]

On Tue, Oct 23 2007, Phillip Lord wrote:

> Here is a new version of smtp-openssl.el.
>
> This file enables the use of openssl as opposed to gnutls for encrypted access
> to an SMTP server for sending mail. This works cross-platform, with cygwin
> openssl on windows, which I can't get gnutls to do.

Would it make sense to rewrite this a patch to `smtpmail.el'?

> I've written this for my own purposes, so it remains classified as a hack. The
> new version is smaller and uses only `defadvice' rather than over-writing
> internal smtpmail.el functions, so it's much less of a hack than previous
> version. It's untested on anything other than the smpt server that I use.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: smtp-openssl.el
@ 2007-10-25 13:44   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2007-10-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: Simon Josefsson, help-gnu-emacs

  RS> [ Please direct responses to
  RS>   gnu.emacs.help/gmane.emacs.help/help-gnu-emacs<at>gnu.org, not to
  RS>   gnu.emacs.sources/gmane.emacs.sources/gnu.emacs.sources<at>gnu.org ]

  RS> On Tue, Oct 23 2007, Phillip Lord wrote:

  >> Here is a new version of smtp-openssl.el.
  >>
  >> This file enables the use of openssl as opposed to gnutls for encrypted
  >> access to an SMTP server for sending mail. This works cross-platform,
  >> with cygwin openssl on windows, which I can't get gnutls to do.

  RS> Would it make sense to rewrite this a patch to `smtpmail.el'?

Probably. There is a bit of a hack which would work better inside
smptmail. However the whole lot is poorly tested; I have only one smtp server
at my call.

Phil