all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* extract flyspell errors to abbrev list
@ 2008-05-16 16:36 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-05-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

    I am writing a lot of text in German using
    auctex-cdlatex and flyspell, which works fine, except
    that I use an american keyboard layout and have trouble
    to insert German umlaute. Actually I just want to type
    the american work-around like 'ae' for 'À' and replace
    it using abbrevs. The problem with this is that I would
    have to create an abbrev for every german word with
    umlaute... so, is there a way to let abbrev lern from
    the displayed mistakes of flyspell? Or is there another
    nice way to create umlaute without switching the
    keyboard?

Greetings!
 Fabian

* Re: extract flyspell errors to abbrev list
@ 2008-05-16 20:10 ` weber
From: weber @ 2008-05-16 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 16, 1:36 pm, Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am writing a lot of text in German using
>     auctex-cdlatex and flyspell, which works fine, except
>     that I use an american keyboard layout and have trouble
>     to insert German umlaute. Actually I just want to type
>     the american work-around like 'ae' for 'ä' and replace
>     it using abbrevs. The problem with this is that I would
>     have to create an abbrev for every german word with
>     umlaute... so, is there a way to let abbrev lern from
>     the displayed mistakes of flyspell? Or is there another
>     nice way to create umlaute without switching the
>     keyboard?
>
> Greetings!
>  Fabian

What about adding a key combo for inserting ä ?
(global-set-key (kbd "M-a") (lambda () (interactive) (insert "ä")))

Cheers
Hugo

* Re: extract flyspell errors to abbrev list
@ 2008-05-16 21:38 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-05-16 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 16 2008, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

>     I am writing a lot of text in German using
>     auctex-cdlatex and flyspell, which works fine, except
>     that I use an american keyboard layout and have trouble
>     to insert German umlaute. Actually I just want to type
>     the american work-around like 'ae' for 'À'

(you meant 'ä' instead of 'À'; your slrn sends UTF-8 declared as
iso-8859-15.)

>     and replace it using abbrevs. The problem with this is that I
>     would have to create an abbrev for every german word with
>     umlaute... so, is there a way to let abbrev lern from the
>     displayed mistakes of flyspell? Or is there another nice way to
>     create umlaute without switching the keyboard?

Use the german-postfix input method:

- `M-x set-input-method RET german-postfix RET' (C-x RET C-\, <menu-bar>
  <options> <mule> <set-input-method>)

- `M-x toggle-input-method RET' (C-\, <menu-bar> <options> <mule>
  <toggle-input-method>)

,----[ M-x describe-input-method RET german-postfix RET ]
| Input method: german-postfix (mode line indicator:DE<)
|
| German (Deutsch) input method
|
| ae  -> ä
| aee -> ae
| oe  -> ö
| oee -> oe
| ue  -> ü
| uee -> ue
| sz  -> ß
| szz -> sz
|

| KEY SEQUENCE
| -----------
| You can input characters by the following key sequences:
| key char  [type a key sequence to insert the corresponding character]
| --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ----
| AE  Ä	 OE  Ö	  UE  Ü	   ae  ä    oe	ö    sz	 ß    ue  ü
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: extract flyspell errors to abbrev list
@ 2008-05-18  9:39   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-05-18  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Reiner,

* Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16 2008, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

[...]
>>     and replace it using abbrevs. The problem with this is that I
>>     would have to create an abbrev for every german word with
>>     umlaute... so, is there a way to let abbrev lern from the
>>     displayed mistakes of flyspell? Or is there another nice way to
>>     create umlaute without switching the keyboard?
>
> Use the german-postfix input method:
>
> - `M-x set-input-method RET german-postfix RET' (C-x RET C-\, <menu-bar>
>   <options> <mule> <set-input-method>)
>
> - `M-x toggle-input-method RET' (C-\, <menu-bar> <options> <mule>
>   <toggle-input-method>)
>
> ,----[ M-x describe-input-method RET german-postfix RET ]
>| Input method: german-postfix (mode line indicator:DE<)
>|
>| German (Deutsch) input method
>|
>| ae  -> ä
>| aee -> ae
>| oe  -> ö
>| oee -> oe
>| ue  -> ü
>| uee -> ue
>| sz  -> ß
>| szz -> sz
>|

>| KEY SEQUENCE
>| -----------
>| You can input characters by the following key sequences:
>| key char  [type a key sequence to insert the corresponding character]
>| --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ----
>| AE  Ä	 OE  Ö	  UE  Ü	   ae  ä    oe	ö    sz	 ß    ue  ü

Thanks, that looks great. There is probably a chance to set
the 'german-postfix' as local variable in a tex buffer? I
tried something like

% german-postfix: t
% set-input-method: german-postfix
% input-method: german-postfix

I would be even better, if is connected to the 'german8'
dictionary :-)

Thanks!

@ 2008-05-18 11:48     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-05-18 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 18 2008, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Thanks, that looks great. There is probably a chance to set
> the 'german-postfix' as local variable in a tex buffer? I
> tried something like
>
> % german-postfix: t
> % set-input-method: german-postfix
> % input-method: german-postfix

% default-input-method: "german-postfix"

... could work, but requires confirmation that `default-input-method'
is safe [1].  But you still need to activate the method using `C-\'.

Alternatively, do it in a suitable hook (`LaTeX-mode-hook'?).  (See
the discussion in
<http://thread.gmane.org/v9d4urtab2.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>.)

,----[ (info "(emacs)Select Input Method") ]

`----

> I would be even better, if is connected to the 'german8'
> dictionary :-)

An input method is not directly related to a dictionary, so this
doesn't seem useful to me.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] Maybe it should be marked a safe by default?
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: extract flyspell errors to abbrev list
@ 2008-05-18 14:03 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-05-18 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Braennstroem; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 16 2008, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

>     the displayed mistakes of flyspell? Or is there another
>     nice way to create umlaute without switching the
>     keyboard?

If you are using X-Windows, I would recommend xmodmap. Once you have
configured your personal ~/.Xmodmap file, you'll get completely independent
of the keyboard: you keep your personal layout independently of the
hardware.
And the layout applies to all programs, not only emacs.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: extract flyspell errors to abbrev list
@ 2008-05-19 18:42       ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-05-19 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Reiner (and to the others of this thread),

* Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
> On Sun, May 18 2008, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that looks great. There is probably a chance to set
>> the 'german-postfix' as local variable in a tex buffer? I
>> tried something like
>>
>> % german-postfix: t
>> % set-input-method: german-postfix
>> % input-method: german-postfix
>
> % default-input-method: "german-postfix"
>
> ... could work, but requires confirmation that `default-input-method'
> is safe [1].  But you still need to activate the method using `C-\'.
>
> Alternatively, do it in a suitable hook (`LaTeX-mode-hook'?).  (See
> the discussion in
> <http://thread.gmane.org/v9d4urtab2.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>.)
>
> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Select Input Method") ]
>|    You can instruct Emacs to activate a certain input method
>| automatically.  For example:
>|
>|      (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>|        (lambda () (set-input-method "german-prefix")))
>|
>| This activates the input emthod "german-prefix" automatically in the
>| Text mode.
> `----
>
>> I would be even better, if is connected to the 'german8'
>> dictionary :-)
>
> An input method is not directly related to a dictionary, so this
> doesn't seem useful to me.

Thanks a lot! The local variable way works for me fine; now
I have to get used to it ;-)

Greetings!
 Fabian