all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06  4:08 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2004-05-06  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The developers seem to hesitate adding some more quotes to
latin-ltx.el; basically, this is my proposal:

 ("\\glq"  ?‚)
 ("\\grq"  ?‘)
 ("\\glqq"  ?„) ("\"`"  ?„)
 ("\\grqq"  ?“) ("\"'"  ?“)
 ("\\flq" ?‹)
 ("\\frq" ?›)
 ("\\flqq" ?«) ("\"<" ?«)

it works nicely with Emacs from CVS.  How can I add these code to the
TeX input method by entering some add-to-list or append statements to
my .emacs?

--
                                                         |      ,__o
                                                         |    _-\_<,
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |   (*)/'(*)

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06  7:41 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-05-06  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> The developers seem to hesitate adding some more quotes to
> latin-ltx.el; basically, this is my proposal:
>
>  ("\\glq"  ?‚)
>  ("\\grq"  ?‘)
>  ("\\glqq"  ?„) ("\"`"  ?„)
>  ("\\grqq"  ?“) ("\"'"  ?“)
>  ("\\flq" ?‹)
>  ("\\frq" ?›)
>  ("\\flqq" ?«) ("\"<" ?«)
>
> it works nicely with Emacs from CVS.

It breaks every document that does not load german.sty or Babel's
german.  It would be very impolite to non-German users to add such a
thing to latin-ltx.el.

> How can I add these code to the TeX input method by entering some
> add-to-list or append statements to my .emacs?

If it works nicely for you, you must have tried it already.  So what
have you tried exactly where?

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06 11:44   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2004-05-06 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

>>  ("\\glq"  ?‚)
>>  ("\\grq"  ?‘)
>>  ("\\glqq"  ?„) ("\"`"  ?„)
>>  ("\\grqq"  ?“) ("\"'"  ?“)
>>  ("\\flq" ?‹)
>>  ("\\frq" ?›)
>>  ("\\flqq" ?«) ("\"<" ?«)

> It breaks every document that does not load german.sty or Babel's
> german.  It would be very impolite to non-German users to add such a
> thing to latin-ltx.el.

It's a UTF-8 input method.  It has no relations per se to TeX/LaTeX
documents.  You will or can use those input methods for all text file
format (SGML, XML, raw UTF-8 ("txt"), LaTeX, etc.).

>> How can I add these code to the TeX input method by entering some
>> add-to-list or append statements to my .emacs?
>
> If it works nicely for you, you must have tried it already.  So what
> have you tried exactly where?

As I said: added to latin-ltx.el - the structure of this file is very
clear.  Of course, adding something to an official Emacs file is only
the 2nd best solution.  I'd prefere defadvice, customize, or setq.

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06 12:59     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-05-06 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:
>
> >>  ("\\glq"  ?‚)
> >>  ("\\grq"  ?‘)
> >>  ("\\glqq"  ?„) ("\"`"  ?„)
> >>  ("\\grqq"  ?“) ("\"'"  ?“)
> >>  ("\\flq" ?‹)
> >>  ("\\frq" ?›)
> >>  ("\\flqq" ?«) ("\"<" ?«)
>
> > It breaks every document that does not load german.sty or Babel's
> > german.  It would be very impolite to non-German users to add such a
> > thing to latin-ltx.el.
>
> It's a UTF-8 input method.  It has no relations per se to TeX/LaTeX
> documents.  You will or can use those input methods for all text file
> format (SGML, XML, raw UTF-8 ("txt"), LaTeX, etc.).

Ah, ok.  What were the objections to your proposal?

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06 14:26       ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2004-05-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ah, ok.  What were the objections to your proposal?

Dave Love was not sure whether those abbreviations are actually known
to users familiar with LaTeX.  I'd say they are somehow "official"; at
least, they are to be found in Kopka's handbook.

You can remember them easily: "French Left Quote" = "flq" etc.

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06 14:51         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-05-06 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <ke@suse.de> writes:

> > Ah, ok.  What were the objections to your proposal?
>
> Dave Love was not sure whether those abbreviations are actually
> known to users familiar with LaTeX.  I'd say they are somehow
> "official"; at least, they are to be found in Kopka's handbook.

Go wash out your mouth with soap.  LaTeX developers are in general not
overly fond of Kopka's ways of promoting outdated, wrong and
inconsistent material.  His books are not really anything close to
being recognized as "official".

More relevant is that those abbreviations are provided by the babel
package which is an officially required part of LaTeX.

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06 15:43 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2004-05-06 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> The developers seem to hesitate adding some more quotes to
> latin-ltx.el; basically, this is my proposal:
>
>  ("\\glq"  ?‚)
>  ("\\grq"  ?‘)
>  ("\\glqq"  ?„) ("\"`"  ?„)
>  ("\\grqq"  ?“) ("\"'"  ?“)
>  ("\\flq" ?‹)
>  ("\\frq" ?›)
>  ("\\flqq" ?«) ("\"<" ?«)
>
> it works nicely with Emacs from CVS.  How can I add these code to the
> TeX input method by entering some add-to-list or append statements to
> my .emacs?

We had this some time ago in de.comp.editoren. Basically you use
‘quail-defrule’ to add rules to an input method. See
<un08d9v7i.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de> below for a code example.

    Oliver
--
18 Floréal an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-06 19:09     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-06 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 06 2004, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> As I said: added to latin-ltx.el - the structure of this file is very
> clear.

On emacs-devel you wrote “I don't know how to edit latin-ltx.el to
provide a patch”?  I've posted a patch on emacs-devel now.

> Of course, adding something to an official Emacs file is only the
> 2nd best solution.  I'd prefere defadvice, customize, or setq.

Oliver Scholz pointed me to `quail-defrule' (see his posting).  Now I
use this code (shortened version, I also have added ℂ, ℕ, ...):

(when (and (load "quail/latin-ltx" t)
	   ;; make "TeX" the default input method:
	   (setq default-input-method "TeX"))
  ;; [...]
  (quail-defrule "\\lq"   ?\‘ "TeX") ;; U+2018 : LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\rq"   ?\’ "TeX") ;; U+2019 : RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\glq"  ?\‚ "TeX") ;; U+201A : SINGLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\grq"  ?\‘ "TeX") ;; U+2018 : LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\lqq"  ?\“ "TeX") ;; U+201C : LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\rqq"  ?\” "TeX") ;; U+201D : RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\glqq" ?\„ "TeX") ;; U+201E : DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\grqq" ?\“ "TeX") ;; U+201C : LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
  (quail-defrule "\\flq"  ?\‹ "TeX") ;; U+2039
  (quail-defrule "\\frq"  ?\› "TeX") ;; U+203A
  (quail-defrule "\\flqq" ?\« "TeX") ;; U+00AB
  (quail-defrule "\\frqq" ?\» "TeX") ;; U+00BB
  ;; [...]
  (message "Installed additions to TeX input method."))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
@ 2004-05-07  5:23       ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2004-05-07  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On emacs-devel you wrote “I don't know how to edit latin-ltx.el to
> provide a patch”?

Later on, I simply gave it a try and it obviously worked.

> I've posted a patch on emacs-devel now.

Yes, thanks for your support (also to Oliver Scholz who provided a
pointer a previous discussion about this subject).

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |   (*)/'(*)