all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
@ 2005-04-15 15:10 Denis Bueno
       [not found] ` <mailman.1688.1113606088.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-04-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there some emacs lisp function that I could call to detect whether
the current emacs process is running from within a terminal or not?

I'd like to be able to change my font-lock faces based on whether
emacs is running in a terminal or not. At the moment I deal with this
in the following way.

I have a .emacs-common which contains code that should be loaded
regardless of the emacs interface. My .emacs is of course loaded by
default whenever I run Emacs in a window (not in a terminal). This
contains various font settings and colors used in the windowed Emacs.
I have a .emacs-terminal which contains various font settings and
colors used in the terminal Emacs.

So, when I want to use Emacs in the terminal, I run:

    emacs -nw -q -l ~/.emacs-terminal

Is there a better way?

--
Denis Bueno
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xA1B51B4B&op=index

* Re: How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
       [not found] <mailman.1647.1113578084.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-15 15:32 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-04-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there some emacs lisp function that I could call to detect
> whether the current emacs process is running from within a terminal
> or not?

The window-system variable.

> I'd like to be able to change my font-lock faces based on whether
> emacs is running in a terminal or not.

Why?  Face definitions can contain several different specs for
different terminals.

@ 2005-04-15 15:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-04-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd like to be able to change my font-lock faces based on whether
> emacs is running in a terminal or not.

   M-x customize-face RET font-lock-<foobar>-face RET

then middle click on the "State" button and select "Show all display specs".
You can then give different face specs for different kinds of displays
(tty, grey, w32, dark-background, ...).

@ 2005-04-15 16:11 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1726.1113653312.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-04-15 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there some emacs lisp function that I could call to detect whether
> the current emacs process is running from within a terminal or not?
>
> I'd like to be able to change my font-lock faces based on whether
> emacs is running in a terminal or not. At the moment I deal with this
> in the following way.
>
> I have a .emacs-common which contains code that should be loaded
> regardless of the emacs interface. My .emacs is of course loaded by
> default whenever I run Emacs in a window (not in a terminal). This
> contains various font settings and colors used in the windowed Emacs.
> I have a .emacs-terminal which contains various font settings and
> colors used in the terminal Emacs.
>
> So, when I want to use Emacs in the terminal, I run:
>
>     emacs -nw -q -l ~/.emacs-terminal
>
> Is there a better way?

(list system-type system-name window-system)

;; system-type          darwin   gnu/linux  cygwin
;; system-name          "naiad.informatimago.com" "hermes.afaa.asso.fr"
;; system-configuration "i686-pc-linux-gnu" "i686-pc-cygwin"
;; window-system        nil x mac
;; emacs-major-version  18 19 20 21
;; emacs-minor-version  0 1 2 3
;; emacs-version        "20.7.2" "21.2.1"

In a terminal, (null window-system)

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

* Re: How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
@ 2005-04-15 22:56 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1688.1113606088.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-15 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.04.2005 um 17:10 schrieb Denis Bueno:

> Is there a better way?

What about this?

(cond ((= 21 emacs-major-version)
   (progn
     (desktop-read)
     (cond ((string= "x" window-system)
         (message "Sind in X11")
         (load "~/.emacs_X11")
     ))  ; Ende X11
     (cond ((string= "mac" window-system)
         (message "Sind in Aqua")
         (load "~/.emacs_Carbon")
;        (require '.emacs_Carbon)
     ))  ; Ende Carbon
     (cond ((string= 'nil window-system)
         (message "Sind im Terminal")
         (load "~/.emacs_nil")
     ))  ; Ende Terminal
)));Version 21

--
Greetings

   Pete

@ 2005-04-15 23:42   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-04-15 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.04.2005 um 17:10 schrieb Denis Bueno:
>
> > Is there a better way?
>
> What about this?
>
> (cond ((= 21 emacs-major-version)
>    (progn
>      (desktop-read)
>      (cond ((string= "x" window-system)

There is this notion of a symbol in List & Intelligent Symbol Processing
language.  Perhaps you read some about it...

Try: M-x info RET m elisp RET m symbols RET

>          (message "Sind in X11")
>          (load "~/.emacs_X11")
>      ))  ; Ende X11
>      (cond ((string= "mac" window-system)
>          (message "Sind in Aqua")
>          (load "~/.emacs_Carbon")
> ;        (require '.emacs_Carbon)
>      ))  ; Ende Carbon
>      (cond ((string= 'nil window-system)
>          (message "Sind im Terminal")
>          (load "~/.emacs_nil")
>      ))  ; Ende Terminal
> )));Version 21

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.

* Re: How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
@ 2005-04-16 12:05   ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1726.1113653312.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2005-04-16 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon escribe:
> Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there some emacs lisp function that I could call to detect whether
> > the current emacs process is running from within a terminal or not?
> >
> > I'd like to be able to change my font-lock faces based on whether
> > emacs is running in a terminal or not. At the moment I deal with this
> > in the following way.
> >
> > I have a .emacs-common which contains code that should be loaded
> > regardless of the emacs interface. My .emacs is of course loaded by
> > default whenever I run Emacs in a window (not in a terminal). This
> > contains various font settings and colors used in the windowed Emacs.
> > I have a .emacs-terminal which contains various font settings and
> > colors used in the terminal Emacs.
> >
> > So, when I want to use Emacs in the terminal, I run:
> >
> >     emacs -nw -q -l ~/.emacs-terminal
> >
> > Is there a better way?
>
> (list system-type system-name window-system)
>
> ;; system-type          darwin   gnu/linux  cygwin
> ;; system-name          "naiad.informatimago.com" "hermes.afaa.asso.fr"
> ;; system-configuration "i686-pc-linux-gnu" "i686-pc-cygwin"
> ;; window-system        nil x mac
> ;; emacs-major-version  18 19 20 21
> ;; emacs-minor-version  0 1 2 3
> ;; emacs-version        "20.7.2" "21.2.1"
>
> In a terminal, (null window-system)

For if it's useful for you, I use clauses like these extensively in mi
.emacs:

(when (eq system-type 'gnu/linux) ...)
(when (eq system-type 'windows-nt) ...)
(when window-system ...)

Cordially, Ismael

@ 2005-04-16 12:18     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-04-16 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (when (eq system-type 'gnu/linux) ...)
> (when (eq system-type 'windows-nt) ...)
> (when window-system ...)

In 99% of the cases, people want their Emacs to behave the same on all their
machines, so the config should be the same, no matter whether it's
GNU/Linux, w32, uses window-system, ...

What can happen, tho, is that depending on the machine some things may or
may not be available.  In that case just prepend each such customization
with a little test that ensures that feature can be used.
This test will generally not look at system-type or window-system, but will
instead check (fboundp <somefunctionIwanttouse), or (file-directory-p
"somedirectoryIwanttouse"), or even place a whole subexpression inside
a (ignore-errors ...my config...).

* Re: How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
@ 2005-04-16 14:20       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 16 2005, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In 99% of the cases, people want their Emacs to behave the same on all their
> machines, so the config should be the same, no matter whether it's
> GNU/Linux, w32, uses window-system, ...
>
> What can happen, tho, is that depending on the machine some things may or
> may not be available.  In that case just prepend each such customization
> with a little test that ensures that feature can be used.
> This test will generally not look at system-type or window-system, but will
> instead check (fboundp <somefunctionIwanttouse), or (file-directory-p
> "somedirectoryIwanttouse"), or even place a whole subexpression inside
> a (ignore-errors ...my config...).

It would be nice to have something like this text in (info
"(emacs)Init Examples") along with some examples.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
@ 2005-04-16 15:30     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-16 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.04.2005 um 01:42 schrieb Pascal Bourguignon:

>> (cond ((= 21 emacs-major-version)
>>    (progn
>>      (desktop-read)
>>      (cond ((string= "x" window-system)
>
> There is this notion of a symbol in List & Intelligent Symbol
> Processing
> language.  Perhaps you read some about it...

That might have happend. I read/browsed a few times in the Elisp info
nodes since I am European and have to struggle like Laokoon with
charsets and encodings and other snails, and the words you use remind
me of things I have read or heard before ... in ads?

Is it that I compare strings? `window-system´ is documented as being, a
bit metaphorical, a symbol. The value can be an `x´, which looks like a
very short string. So I imagined a string comparison should be OK ...

Or is it that I do not quote the symbol?

> Try: M-x info RET m elisp RET m symbols RET

Today I can't find the right pointer that would help my understanding
-- I am a bit old today too and Lisp (and other programming languages)
are hard to decipher and even harder to write for me. I think awk, sed,
and shell are fine for programming ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others. - Groucho Marx

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete