all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `C-M-%' instead of `M-x query-replace-regexp' in etc/refcard.tex
@ 2007-08-08 20:16 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-08 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

in etc/refcard.tex we have:

\section{Query Replace}

\key{interactively replace a text string}{M-\%}
% query-replace-regexp is bound to C-M-% but that can't be typed on
% consoles.
\metax{using regular expressions}{M-x query-replace-regexp}

I think the problem with consoles is rare enough to justify mentioning
`C-M-%' nevertheless in the refcard.  If it was important, wouldn't we
have an alternative key binding for `query-replace-regexp'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: `C-M-%' instead of `M-x query-replace-regexp' in etc/refcard.tex
@ 2007-08-08 22:55 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-08-08 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

> in etc/refcard.tex we have:

> \section{Query Replace}
>
> \key{interactively replace a text string}{M-\%}
> % query-replace-regexp is bound to C-M-% but that can't be typed on
> % consoles.
> \metax{using regular expressions}{M-x query-replace-regexp}
>
> I think the problem with consoles is rare enough to justify mentioning
> `C-M-%' nevertheless in the refcard.

I agree.  This is a reference card, not the Emacs manual.  It should not be
strictly formal.  It's more useful to show C-M-% here than its command name.

> If it was important, wouldn't we have an alternative key binding for
> `query-replace-regexp'.

It is easy to start query-replace-regexp on consoles with
`C-M-s regexp M-% to-string RET'

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: `C-M-%' instead of `M-x query-replace-regexp' in etc/refcard.tex
@ 2007-08-14 20:13   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-14 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Aug 09 2007, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> \key{interactively replace a text string}{M-\%}
>> % query-replace-regexp is bound to C-M-% but that can't be typed on
>> % consoles.
>> \metax{using regular expressions}{M-x query-replace-regexp}
>>
>> I think the problem with consoles is rare enough to justify mentioning
>> `C-M-%' nevertheless in the refcard.
>
> I agree.  This is a reference card, not the Emacs manual.  It should not be
> strictly formal.  It's more useful to show C-M-% here than its command name.

Unless there's objection, I'd like to install this change in Emacs 22
and regenerate the PS files.

(BTW, pl-refcard.tex already mentions `C-M-%' instead of `M-x
query-replace-regexp'.  No need to regenerate pl-refcard.ps.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)