all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tagging Fortran variables
@ 2024-08-05 22:25 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-08-05 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, part of my work is researches/troubleshooting in a big collection of old Fortran code files. I want to be able to use the xref tools to help me. However, it seems that etags does not tag Fortran variables, which 99% of the time is what I am interested in. It looks like there is a way to tag anything you want using regexps, so I was looking at the fortran.el code to see if maybe I could find the magic regexp for this. But there is a lot going on here in fortran.el that I don't understand yet and I am wondering if somebody might be able to help me figure this out.

--
📛 Christopher Howard
🚀 gemini://gem.librehacker.com

בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ

* Re: Tagging Fortran variables
@ 2024-08-06 16:31 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-08-06 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Harnisch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Do you know if Gnu Global tags variables as well? In the online documentation I'm only seeing functions, macros, structs, and classes mentioned, though I suppose it varies from language to language.

--
Christopher Howard

* Re: Tagging Fortran variables
@ 2024-08-07 17:31 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-08-07 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Have you tried using xref in eglot? It will attempt to use the fortls
> fortran language server.

I'm not familiar with eglot, but I see there is a package for it in Guix, so I could look into that. It does not appear that there is yet a package for fortls, but presumably I can get it installed through pip, which I see is already installed on my system.

--
Christopher Howard

* Re: Tagging Fortran variables
@ 2024-08-07 17:41 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-08-07 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eglot already part of Emacs, it appears...? I see an info manual already installed so I will read through that.

--
Christopher Howard