all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-25  5:28 spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-10-25  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
world are Emacs users are located.

If you want to put yourself on the map then you can do it here (red
Add Yourself button):

http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs

If you want to tell what kind of Emacs you use then you can write it
in the comment field.

You can change your data later from the same computer where you added
yourself (red Edit button).

I 'm wondering which part of the world will have the highest density
of Emacs users. :)

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-25 10:16 ` Bastien
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> If you want to put yourself on the map then you can do it here (red
> Add Yourself button):
>
> http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs

This is nice.

While we're at this, may I remind people here that there is an Emacs
Screenshots group on flickr:

  http://www.flickr.com/groups/emacs/

Locating your screenshots here is another way to locate yourself (or
your Emacs twin) on a map.

--
Bastien

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-25 11:06 ` William Xu
       [not found] ` <mailman.2548.1193310424.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: William Xu @ 2007-10-25 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
> world are Emacs users are located.

How about google trends:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=emacs&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

--
William

@ 2007-10-25 11:16   ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-10-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 25, 1:06 pm, William Xu <william....@gmail.com> wrote:
> "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com" <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
> > world are Emacs users are located.
>
> How about google trends:
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=emacs&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

It's not as visual, but cool:

Emacs vs. VIM:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=emacs%2C+vim&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Looks like we are head to head. :)

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2548.1193310424.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-25 17:06 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2007-10-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
> world are Emacs users are located.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsUserLocations

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-25 17:53 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-10-25 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

That data already exists (albeit in a different form) at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsUserLocations.  Rather than
start a separate database, why not generate the Google Maps data from
this one?
--
Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the
process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-25 18:25   ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-10-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 25, 7:53 pm, Eric Hanchrow <off...@blarg.net> wrote:
> That data already exists (albeit in a different form) athttp://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsUserLocations.  Rather than
> start a separate database, why not generate the Google Maps data from
> this one?

It's much easier to add yourself to the map with this web interface
(as easy as pushing a button and filling some data), so I think it
appeals to more people than the one on emacs wiki.

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-25 18:48     ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-10-25 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 25, 8:25 pm, "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com"
<spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's much easier to add yourself to the map with this web interface
> (as easy as pushing a button and filling some data), so I think it
> appeals to more people than the one on emacs wiki.

As I see there are 103 user location entries on Emacs Wiki in total.

On

http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs

75 people registered in the first 12 hours and counting.

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-25 22:21       ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2007-10-25 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 25, 8:25 pm, "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com"
> <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's much easier to add yourself to the map with this web interface
>> (as easy as pushing a button and filling some data), so I think it
>> appeals to more people than the one on emacs wiki.
>
> As I see there are 103 user location entries on Emacs Wiki in total.

Please use international country code abbreviations.

gm for Germany?  Yuck!

> On
>
> http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs
>
> 75 people registered in the first 12 hours and counting.

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org
 http://www.xemacs.org/

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-26  4:55         ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-10-26  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 26, 12:21 am, "Adrian Aichner" <adr...@xemacs.org> wrote:
> "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com" <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Oct 25, 8:25 pm, "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com"
> > <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It's much easier to add yourself to the map with this web interface
> >> (as easy as pushing a button and filling some data), so I think it
> >> appeals to more people than the one on emacs wiki.
>
> > As I see there are 103 user location entries on Emacs Wiki in total.
>
> Please use international country code abbreviations.
>
> gm for Germany?  Yuck!

I've also found this strange, but there's nothing I can do about it.
You should contact the creators of www.buddymapping.com regarding this
problem. The user only selects the country and their engine assigns to
country code to it.

@ 2007-10-26 12:26   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-26 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

> That data already exists (albeit in a different form) at
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsUserLocations.  Rather than
> start a separate database, why not generate the Google Maps data from
> this one?

That would be neat indeed.

--
Bastien

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-27 15:08           ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2007-10-27 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 26, 12:21 am, "Adrian Aichner" <adr...@xemacs.org> wrote:
>> "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com" <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > As I see there are 103 user location entries on Emacs Wiki in total.
>>
>> Please use international country code abbreviations.
>>
>> gm for Germany?  Yuck!
>
> I've also found this strange, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Yep, sorry, I thought this was your own site.

There seem to be 231 entries already, right?

Cool

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-11-04 20:50   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-11-04 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric> That data already exists (albeit in a different form) at
Eric> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsUserLocations.  Rather than
Eric> start a separate database, why not generate the Google Maps data from
Eric> this one?

I implemented this today:

    http://tromey.com/emacs/map/

It fetches data live from the Emacs Wiki, so it is a bit slow.

Tom

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2007-11-05  3:26     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-05  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

>     http://tromey.com/emacs/map/
>
> It fetches data live from the Emacs Wiki, so it is a bit slow.

Nice!

--
Bastien

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-03-23  0:50 ` kimiivy
From: kimiivy @ 2014-03-23  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
> world are Emacs users are located.
>
> If you want to put yourself on the map then you can do it here (red
> Add Yourself button):
>
> http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs
>
> If you want to tell what kind of Emacs you use then you can write it
> in the comment field.
>
> You can change your data later from the same computer where you added
> yourself (red Edit button).
>

> I 'm wondering which part of the world will have the highest density
> of Emacs users. :)
cannot visit from here..

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2014-03-23 16:39   ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2014-03-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kimiivy@163.com wrote:

> "spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
>> world are Emacs users are located.
>>
>> If you want to put yourself on the map then you can do it here (red
>> Add Yourself button):
>>
>> http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs
>>
>> If you want to tell what kind of Emacs you use then you can write it
>> in the comment field.
>>
>> You can change your data later from the same computer where you added
>> yourself (red Edit button).
>>

>> I 'm wondering which part of the world will have the highest density
>> of Emacs users. :)
> cannot visit from here..

Retirement homes? :)

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
@ 2014-03-24  0:42     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-03-24  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> kimiivy@163.com wrote:
>
>> "spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
>>> world are Emacs users are located.
>>>
>>> If you want to put yourself on the map then you can do it here (red
>>> Add Yourself button):
>>>
>>> http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/emacs
>>>
>>> If you want to tell what kind of Emacs you use then you can write it
>>> in the comment field.
>>>
>>> You can change your data later from the same computer where you added
>>> yourself (red Edit button).
>>>

>>> I 'm wondering which part of the world will have the highest density
>>> of Emacs users. :)
>> cannot visit from here..
>
> Retirement homes? :)

From China, unfortunately... I guess just because it uses the US version
of Google maps.

* Re: Where in the world are Emacs users?
       [not found] <mailman.240694.1395619989.10747.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-27 20:56 ` csh
From: csh @ 2014-03-27 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

   I thought it would be interesting to see on a Google Map where in the
   world are Emacs users are located.

Google Maps is not Free Software.  Might I recommend OpenStreetMap instead?

   If you want to put yourself on the map [...]

Sharing my location requires using proprietary JavaScript programs that
are automatically executed in my browser by Google.

   If you want to tell what kind of Emacs you use then you can write it
   in the comment field.

I use GNU Emacs 24.3.1 on GNU/Linux-libre.  I switched to it from Vim when
I wanted to learn Lisp and when I became a saint in the Church.

   You can change your data later from the same computer where you added
   yourself (red Edit button).

I browse the Web with Tor and do not accept cookies.