all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Nicest phone, feature wise, like xemacs vs. notepad?
       [not found] <slrnb50k1s.1k0.ignoramus13341@nospam.invalid>
@ 2003-02-17 13:07 ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2003-02-17 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

ignoramus13341@NOSPAM.13341.invalid (Igor13341) writes:

> Alternatively, is there a linux based NICE phone utility or emacs mode or
> something that could help me with dialiing and would understand caller id
> and so on (with the right modem)?

Well, there is something that does *something* along those lines, I
think from someone at Sun, in bbdb mode.  Maybe you can steal the code
or something?  From the bbdb manual:

M-d (bbdb-dial) If you are on a machine with the ability to play sounds,
    this command will play the appropriate tones on the builtin speaker
    to dial the phone number corresponding to the current line. If the
    point is at the beginning of a record, dial the first phone
    number. This does not dial the extension. This also does not dial
    the area code if it is the same as bbdb-default-area-code, unless a
    prefix argument is given.

    The BBDB comes configured to play sounds on machines running
    Solaris. If you are on another type of machine, you must set
    bbdb-sound-player to a string containing the name of the audio file
    player on your machine. You must also set bbdb-sound-files to a
    vector of arguments to be passed to the program indicated by
    bbdb-sound-player. bbdb-sound-player will be called with the first
    element of bbdb-sound-files for the digit `0', the second for `1',
    the third for `2', and so on.

    bbdb-dial-local-prefix Set this to a string of digits if your phone
    system requires you to dial some code to access an outside line.

    bbdb-dial-long-distance-prefix Set this to a string of digits if
    your phone system requires you to dial some code before dialing a
    long-distance number (one not in your local area code.)

Hope this helps.
k.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

@ 2003-02-17 14:57 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
       [not found]   ` <slrnb51v0d.i8j.ignoramus12907@nospam.invalid>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-17 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sort of like, I want an xemacs of telephones, not a "MS Notepad"
> of telephones.

This is an Emacs newgroup, for XEmacs discussion use comp.emacs.xemacs.

* Re: Nicest phone, feature wise, like xemacs vs. notepad?
@ 2003-02-17 15:08   ` David Kastrup
       [not found]   ` <slrnb51v0d.i8j.ignoramus12907@nospam.invalid>
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-02-17 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > Sort of like, I want an xemacs of telephones, not a "MS Notepad"
> > of telephones.
>
> This is an Emacs newgroup, for XEmacs discussion use
> comp.emacs.xemacs.

But the requested feature does not have anything in particular to do
with XEmacs, so I think that the group comp.emacs would be a better
choice.  gnu.emacs.help, on the other hand, is rather GNU Emacs
specific.

@ 2003-02-17 16:00     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-17 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> well, if you have a suggestion for an "Emacs" of telephones, I am all open!

I heard that some recent cell phones are based on some kind of Linux
derivative, so they should be powerful enough to get a port of Emacs
running on them.

* Re: Nicest phone, feature wise, like xemacs vs. notepad?
@ 2003-02-18  6:13       ` Nathan Duffy
From: Nathan Duffy @ 2003-02-18  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:00:08 +0000, Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> wrote:

>> well, if you have a suggestion for an "Emacs" of telephones, I am all open!
>
> I heard that some recent cell phones are based on some kind of Linux
> derivative, so they should be powerful enough to get a port of Emacs
> running on them.
>

>         Stefan
HeHeHe

@ 2003-02-18 13:02 `  George Jefferson
From:  George Jefferson  @ 2003-02-18 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, an emacs based phone? It could conrol your vcr and walk
your dog but you would need to look up the meta code sequnce
to dial a local number in a 1,000 page manual :)

* Re: Nicest phone, feature wise, like xemacs vs. notepad?
@ 2003-02-18 16:21   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-18 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Jefferson wrote:

> hmm, an emacs based phone? It could conrol your vcr and walk
> your dog but you would need to look up the meta code sequnce
> to dial a local number in a 1,000 page manual :)

C-h a dial RET