all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Controlling `fill-paragraph'
@ 2005-01-31 15:21 Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-01-31 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to control just how `fill-paragraph' works?

I was just editing a lisp function whose documentation string is:

  "Create a perceptron learner. Returns a net of one node, i.e., a
perceptron. ;; <= this line

     EXAMPLES => (#(x_1 ... x_n) y)
ACTIVATION-FN => #'sigmoid (for example)
WEIGHT-VECTOR => #(w_1 ... w_n)

If weight-vector is unspecified, each weight w_i will be randomly
chosen such that 0 < w_i < 0.25."

I put my cursor on the text marked by "this line" and hit M-q, which
resulted in the text changing to:

  "Create a perceptron learner. Returns a net of one node, i.e., a perceptron.

     EXAMPLES => (#(x_1 ... x_n) y) ACTIVATION-FN =>
#'sigmoid (for example) WEIGHT-VECTOR => #(w_1 ... w_n)

If weight-vector is unspecified, each weight w_i will be randomly
chosen such that 0 < w_i < 0.25."

I expected that it would wrap the line "Create a perceptron..."
instead of wrapping two lines under it together. Is there I way I can
customize `fill-paragraph' so that it will wrap the way I expect?

--
Denis Bueno

* Re: Controlling `fill-paragraph'
@ 2005-01-31 17:06 ` August
       [not found]   ` <6dbd4d00050131095060f3c83a@mail.gmail.com>
From: August @ 2005-01-31 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On mån, 2005-01-31 at 10:21 -0500, Denis Bueno wrote:
> Is there a way to control just how `fill-paragraph' works?
>
> I was just editing a lisp function whose documentation string is:
>
>   "Create a perceptron learner. Returns a net of one node, i.e., a
> perceptron. ;; <= this line
>
>      EXAMPLES => (#(x_1 ... x_n) y)
> ACTIVATION-FN => #'sigmoid (for example)
> WEIGHT-VECTOR => #(w_1 ... w_n)
>
> If weight-vector is unspecified, each weight w_i will be randomly
> chosen such that 0 < w_i < 0.25."
>
> I put my cursor on the text marked by "this line" and hit M-q, which
> resulted in the text changing to:
>
>   "Create a perceptron learner. Returns a net of one node, i.e., a perceptron.
>
>      EXAMPLES => (#(x_1 ... x_n) y) ACTIVATION-FN =>
> #'sigmoid (for example) WEIGHT-VECTOR => #(w_1 ... w_n)
>
> If weight-vector is unspecified, each weight w_i will be randomly
> chosen such that 0 < w_i < 0.25."
>
> I expected that it would wrap the line "Create a perceptron..."
> instead of wrapping two lines under it together. Is there I way I can
> customize `fill-paragraph' so that it will wrap the way I expect?

That's strange, I can't reproduce the behavior you describe. What's the
value of `fill-column'? The first line after you invoked fill-paragraph
is 78 characters long (think default value is 70).

--
August

* Re: Controlling `fill-paragraph'
       [not found]     ` <1107196358.5404.32.camel@c83-250-201-122.bredband.comhem.se>
@ 2005-01-31 23:33       ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-01-31 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:32:38 +0100, August <fusionfive@comhem.se> wrote:
> On mån, 2005-01-31 at 12:50 -0500, Denis Bueno wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:06:12 +0100, August <fusionfive@comhem.se> wrote:
> > >
> > > That's strange, I can't reproduce the behavior you describe. What's the
> > > value of `fill-column'? The first line after you invoked fill-paragraph
> > > is 78 characters long (think default value is 70).
> >
> > I have customized `fill-column', so its value is 75.
>
> As long as the width of the buffer window is no less than `fill-column',
> it should be okay. You can always try to temporarily erase the
> customization and see if the problem remains.

I erased the customization, and the problem persists.

Perhaps I have been confusing things by using the wrong terminology. I
don't care if the text `wraps', in the sense of putting a little arrow
on the side of the emacs window, and displaying the text that goes too
far on the next line. My problem is that `fill-column' seems to be
"filling" (if that is indeed the word I'm looking for) the wrong
column.

> P.S. I recommend you to reply to the list rather than to me privately,
> so others can take part in the discussion. Since you did so I do of
> course respect your decision and reply to you privately too.

Sorry about that. I have now included the list in my reply.

--

       [not found] <mailman.173.1107187670.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-07 13:20 ` Alan Wehmann
From: Alan Wehmann @ 2005-02-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can limit the range of 'fill-paragraph' by "marking" a region.  In
addition, variables 'paragraph-start' and 'paragraph-separate'
delineate paragraphs.

I'm using XEmacs 21.4 (patch 15) "Security Through Obscurity" [Lucid]
(sparc-sun-solaris2.8, Mule) of Tue Apr 20 2004 on gax.  But I think
that what I've said also applies to Emacs.

--
Alan Wehmann
wehmannnospam@fnal.gov