all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mail abbrevs are broken?
@ 2004-07-30 17:11 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2004-07-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195)
 of 2004-07-26 on WINSTEINGOLDLAP
--with-msvc (12.00)

recently mail abbrevs in message-mode stopped working.
I still have "Abbrev" in mode line and global abbrevs are expanded.
Aliases are not expanded though, neither by " " nor by an explicit M-`.
(the point is in the "To:" header field)
mail-abbrevs is set up correctly
(abbrev-expansion "foo" mail-abbrevs) ==> "foo@bar.com"
while
(abbrev-expansion "foo") ==> NIL

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
nobody's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session

* Re: mail abbrevs are broken?
@ 2004-07-30 22:45 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-07-30 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 01:11:54PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> recently mail abbrevs in message-mode stopped working.
> I still have "Abbrev" in mode line and global abbrevs are expanded.
> Aliases are not expanded though, neither by " " nor by an explicit M-`.
> (the point is in the "To:" header field)
> mail-abbrevs is set up correctly

Yeah I see the same thing; I can expand mail aliases "manually" (I use M-r,
but this may be a personal binding), but the automatic abbrev expansion has
stopped working...

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."

* Re: mail abbrevs are broken?
@ 2004-07-30 23:00   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-07-30 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: sds, emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:

   On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 01:11:54PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
   > recently mail abbrevs in message-mode stopped working.
   > I still have "Abbrev" in mode line and global abbrevs are expanded.
   > Aliases are not expanded though, neither by " " nor by an explicit M-`.
   > (the point is in the "To:" header field)
   > mail-abbrevs is set up correctly

   Yeah I see the same thing; I can expand mail aliases "manually" (I use M-r,
   but this may be a personal binding), but the automatic abbrev expansion has
   stopped working...

Yes, that is due to  Rev 1.63 of abbrev.c.  Richard was going to
revert it (which solves the problem), but he has not yet found the
time to do so.

Sincerely,

Luc.