all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reading binary data with Emacs
@ 2006-07-07 20:42 exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2006-07-07 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm running native windows emacs 21.3.1 on Win2000.
I'm wondering if there is some mode (or something
else) which will allow me to view binary data in some
organized, easy to understand way.  This is the sort
of thing I'd normally use hexdump for but, alas, I'm
stuck for the time being on Windows and it seems
Cygwin doesn't include hexdump.  Apropos binary listed
a few results but none of them seemed to be of much
help.  So, can emacs help me out here?  Thanks in
advance.

-exits

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Reading binary data with Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.3892.1152304982.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-07 21:16 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2006-07-07 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

M-x hexl-mode

View and overwrite, but not insert.

@ 2006-07-07 21:18 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-07-07 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

hexl-find-file
--
The reason the young care so much about prestige is that the
people they want to impress are not very discerning.

* Re: Reading binary data with Emacs
@ 2006-07-07 21:38   ` exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2006-07-07 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the reply.  It sounded promising but when I
run the command I get this error:  Searching for
program ... no such file or directory ... bash.  Maybe
it doesn't work on windows?

-exits

       [not found] <mailman.3895.1152308292.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-07 22:41 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-07-07 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

It worked on msw98. Press M-x hexl-find-file ret tab and then mouse 2 (or
mouse-1 return) on any file name in completion list. It should work. Hedit
(freeware) also works in msw98 and later versions.

Ed.

@ 2006-07-08 12:39     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-08 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com>
>
> Thanks for the reply.  It sounded promising but when I
> run the command I get this error:  Searching for
> program ... no such file or directory ... bash.

Native Windows Emacs should not try to use Bash, unless you have some
customizations in your .emacs that force it to do so.  Try "emacs -q",
if it works there, take a hard look at your .emacs.

> Maybe it doesn't work on windows?

Hexl does work on Windows.

* Re: Reading binary data with Emacs
@ 2006-07-08 15:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-08 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com>
>
> I'm wondering if there is some mode (or something
> else) which will allow me to view binary data in some
> organized, easy to understand way.  This is the sort
> of thing I'd normally use hexdump for but, alas, I'm
> stuck for the time being on Windows and it seems
> Cygwin doesn't include hexdump.  Apropos binary listed
> a few results but none of them seemed to be of much
> help.

Next time you search for something, try apropos-documentation as well
as just apropos.  The former searches the doc strings, not only the
command names.