all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cannot open emacs in a new window
@ 2007-05-16 22:35 blacksoil
From: blacksoil @ 2007-05-16 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have been using Cygwin on my windows XP machine and the emacs worked
perfectly some days ago. Then for some reason, when I am in the xterm,
type "emacs", it just opens in the original xterm window, without
openning up the emacs' own window, and I do not know how to use emacs
within the embedded window.

I do not know what caused emacs unable to pop up its own window. I
remembered I once tried "emacs -nw", but later on I always used
"emacs" and it still could not open up the separate emacs window. I
tried to reinstall emacs through cygwin setup.exe, not working; I
tried to delete all my cygwin directory and reinstall everything,
still the problem persists.

Anybody has some idea about this issue? Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,
Zhi

* Re: cannot open emacs in a new window
@ 2007-05-17  9:51 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-05-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

unfortunately I can't help with Cygwin. But maybe using native MS
Windows builds can be an alternative for you:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryWThirtyTwo

\bye

* Re: cannot open emacs in a new window
@ 2007-05-17 10:03 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-05-17 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

unfortunately I can't help with Cygwin. But maybe using a native MS
Windows build can be an alternative for you: