all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* My Ispell has stopped working
@ 2010-03-18 21:06 Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2010-03-18 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use Emacs 22.3.1 under Windows XP.

Ispell suddenly stopped working, while in use.  When called, it says
it is searching, but immediately hangs.  Sometimes the cursor goes to
the end of the current line.  Otherwise, there is no visible
activity.

As usual, info gives me the feeling of coming in in the middle of a
conversation.  Is it possible that my dictionary has been corrupted or
rendered inaccessible?  I have never been able to locate either the
default dictionary or my personal dictionary; C-h v says they are
nil.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  I'd rather be in bed.  :||

* Re: My Ispell has stopped working
@ 2010-03-22 12:24 ` Sergei
From: Sergei @ 2010-03-22 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 19, 3:06 am, Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> wrote:

[...]

> Is it possible that my dictionary has been corrupted or rendered
> inaccessible? I have never been able to locate either the default
> dictionary or my personal dictionary; C-h v says they are nil.

If your speller is a real ispell (and not a wrapper script calling
aspell) you could spot the location of your dictionaries with

$ ispell -vv | grep LIBDIR

in a cygwin shell.

--
Sergei

* Re: My Ispell has stopped working
@ 2010-03-22 19:59   ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2010-03-22 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergei <sergio.pokrovskij@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 19, 3:06 am, Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Is it possible that my dictionary has been corrupted or rendered
>> inaccessible? I have never been able to locate either the default
>> dictionary or my personal dictionary; C-h v says they are nil.
>
> If your speller is a real ispell (and not a wrapper script calling
> aspell)

Alas, the latter is the case.  Thanks for trying, tho.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Love: two vowels, two consonants, two fools.  :||