all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Build CVS Emacs on Win32
@ 2003-03-12  2:24 Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-03-12  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is there any HOWTO article that shows how to build CVS Emacs (currently
21.3.50) on Win32 platform? I have VC++ installed. Thanks.

--
Peter Wu
Powered by Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

* Re: Build CVS Emacs on Win32
@ 2003-03-12 14:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> Is there any HOWTO article that shows how to build CVS Emacs (currently
> 21.3.50) on Win32 platform? I have VC++ installed. Thanks.

There is a file INSTALL-CVS.  Did you read that?

* Re: Build CVS Emacs on Win32
@ 2003-03-12 19:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-12 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any HOWTO article that shows how to build CVS Emacs (currently
> 21.3.50) on Win32 platform? I have VC++ installed. Thanks.

[ This is only for released versions of Emacs.  Please use
  emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org for questions related to unreleased versions ].

What part of INSTALL and INSTALL-CVS were not clear ?

* Re: Build CVS Emacs on Win32
@ 2003-03-13  4:05   ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-03-13  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any HOWTO article that shows how to build CVS Emacs (currently
>> 21.3.50) on Win32 platform? I have VC++ installed. Thanks.
>
> There is a file INSTALL-CVS.  Did you read that?

I read that and did the following:

C:\emacs-cvs\emacs\nt>configure
Checking for 'cp'...
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

How to fix this?

--

@ 2003-03-13  8:59     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-13  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> There is a file INSTALL-CVS.  Did you read that?
>
> I read that and did the following:
>
> C:\emacs-cvs\emacs\nt>configure
> Checking for 'cp'...
> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
>
> How to fix this?

When you read the file, did you see the following?

/----
| Users of non-Posix systems (MS-Windows etc.) should run the
| platform-specific configuration scripts (nt/configure.bat, config.bat,
| etc.) before "make bootstrap" or "make"; the rest of the procedure is
| applicable to those systems as well.
\----

I think that's pretty clear.

* Re: Build CVS Emacs on Win32
@ 2003-03-13  9:10       ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-03-13  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >
> >> There is a file INSTALL-CVS.  Did you read that?
> >
> > I read that and did the following:
> >
> > C:\emacs-cvs\emacs\nt>configure
> > Checking for 'cp'...
> > The syntax of the command is incorrect.
> >
> > How to fix this?
>
> When you read the file, did you see the following?
>
> /----
> | Users of non-Posix systems (MS-Windows etc.) should run the
> | platform-specific configuration scripts (nt/configure.bat, config.bat,
> | etc.) before "make bootstrap" or "make"; the rest of the procedure is
> | applicable to those systems as well.
> \----
>
> I think that's pretty clear.

Yes, it's clear but not working for me. As you see, I did run
nt\configure.bat, which gave me some error.

I put the cygwin path to the very first but it still does not work for me
although it gave me another error message...

--

@ 2003-03-13 11:19         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-13 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> Yes, it's clear but not working for me. As you see, I did run
> nt\configure.bat, which gave me some error.

D'Oh!  I overlooked that.  Sorry.

Anyhow, I had a quick peek at the nt/configure.bat file and it
appears that it really really really needs a unixoid `cp' program.
If there is no cp program at all, it emits a useful error message.
But it seems that in your case, the error message is weird.

Can you find out which cp program it finds?  And do you have a
unixoid cp program on your system, and can you make it use that?

(It also needs rm, it seems.)