all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Link between two buffers
@ 2005-07-27  8:54 Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2005-07-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have following problem:
I have two buffers in one frame, both contains the same file, but
showing diffrent parts of the file. The lines are longer than
the frame wide is, so I see always a part of the line (I set
the variable truncate-lines to t). My wish is, that when I move
the cursor horzintally in one line in one buffer the other buffer
move automaticly in the same direction by the same amount of characters,
in other words - both move parallel. How can I do it? Any ideas?

The bacground: my file contains a very wide table. The first
line of the table is the header, then follows many lines of data.
When I edit something far away from the header line, I don't see
the header and I don't know about what column I just edit.
My idea is, I open the file twice. The upper buffer show me
alway the header, the bottom buffer show me data, but both buffers
are linked, so I see alway the correct description in upper
buffer.

regards

Marc

* Re: Link between two buffers
@ 2005-07-28 22:30 b.jc-emacs
From: b.jc-emacs @ 2005-07-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On: 28 Jul 2005, Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> wrote:

> However, as the only reason the OP wants this behavior is so
> that he can see the header line of the file at the same time as
> viewing row data which is more than one window in distance from
> the header line in his file, I'm thinking he is probably better
> off forgetting about follow-mode and seeing how hard it would
> be to create a mode which puts the first line into a header
> line (such as those used in *info* mode) and allows the rest of
> the buffer window to be used to scroll through the data file?

I have a dim recollection from a time long ago (6 or more years,
probably in emacs 18) of using emacs to do what the OP described.
Unfortunately I do not remember exactly how I did it.  If my
memory serves correctly it involved selecting a line and then
doing something simple that told emacs not to scroll the line off
the page.  It seems to me that it was something like setting a
margin variable.  I did some searching in info and did an apropos
on variables but could not find anything.  Perhaps some one on
the list can recall if there ever was such a capability.

__
J_)
C_)ingham

Surfing so fast you won't believe it's not broadband!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!