all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Change to emacs.c: USAGE1 string is too big for Microsoft compiler.
@ 2004-02-21 17:13 Stephen Powell
From: Stephen Powell @ 2004-02-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

The latest update to emacs.c makes the USAGE1 string to long for
Microsofts compiler.  It doesn't like this line:

      printf (USAGE1, argv[0]);

,----
| Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
| Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.
|
|         cl -I. -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 -nologo -D_X86_=1 -c -Zel -W2 -H63 -Oxsb2 -Oy- -G6dF -Zp8 -Zi -Di386  -D_CRTAPI1=_cdecl  -DENABLE_CHECKING -Demacs=1 -DWINDOWSNT -DDOS_NT -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../nt/inc -D_UCHAR_T -DHAVE_NTGUI=1  -Foobj-spd/i386\ emacs.c
| emacs.c
| emacs.c(1067) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
`----

According to Microsofts site
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/C2026.asp>

The string was longer than the limit of 2048 single-byte characters.

Prior to adjacent strings being concatenated, a string cannot be
longer than 2048 single-byte characters.

A Unicode string of about one half this length would also generate
this error.

--
Stephen Powell
stephen_powell <at> optusnet.com.au

* Re: Change to emacs.c: USAGE1 string is too big for Microsoft compiler.
@ 2004-02-21 17:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-21 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Powell <stephen_powell@optusnet.com.au>
> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 04:13:06 +1100
>
> The latest update to emacs.c makes the USAGE1 string to long for
> Microsofts compiler.  It doesn't like this line:
>
>       printf (USAGE1, argv[0]);

Stupid compiler.

Please try "cvs up", I installed a change that should fix this.

And thanks for the report.

* Re: Change to emacs.c: USAGE1 string is too big for Microsoft compiler.
@ 2004-02-21 20:46   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-02-21 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> Please try "cvs up", I installed a change that should fix this.

For what it's worth, a mere 509 chars is apparently the limit for c89,
according to gcc -pedantic.

* Re: Change to emacs.c: USAGE1 string is too big for Microsoft compiler.
@ 2004-02-21 22:14     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-02-21 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:
>>
>> Please try "cvs up", I installed a change that should fix this.
>
> For what it's worth, a mere 509 chars is apparently the limit for c89,
> according to gcc -pedantic.

It is just the minimum very implementation must be able to handle,
C99 has 4095 characters (so Microsoft does not comply?).
C99 also says, "Implementations should avoid imposing fixed
translation limits whenever possible".

	Jan D.

* Re: Change to emacs.c: USAGE1 string is too big for Microsoft compiler.
@ 2004-02-22  9:15     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-02-22  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:
> >
> > Please try "cvs up", I installed a change that should fix this.
>
> For what it's worth, a mere 509 chars is apparently the limit for c89,
> according to gcc -pedantic.

The previous length was close to 2096, so it seems that msvc is the
closest to this limit that we have encountered in practice. I presume
it is just a warning from gcc -pedantic?