all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* instance process name
@ 2005-09-02 17:46 Rancier, Jeff
From: Rancier, Jeff @ 2005-09-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,
Is there an easy method to retrieve the process name of 'this' instance of
Emacs, via a lisp expression?

Jeff

* Re: instance process name
@ 2005-09-02 18:15 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-09-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h f emacs-pid RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers

* RE: instance process name
@ 2005-09-02 18:55 Rancier, Jeff
From: Rancier, Jeff @ 2005-09-02 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Kevin.  Actually, I'm running GNU Emacs 21.3.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8,
X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) from Windows, but when I bring up Sun's Forte
Debugger (workshop), Sun has integrated the debugger into Xemacs, and I
simply want the ability to load/~load various features, as they both use the
same init file.  I'll probably just use the emacs-build-system or
emacs-version.

Jeff

| |
| | Return the process ID of Emacs, as an integer.
| `----
|
| --
| Kevin Rodgers

* Re: instance process name
@ 2005-09-03 10:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-09-03 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Rancier, Jeff" <Jeff.Rancier@Sensis.com>
> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:46:53 -0400
>
> Is there an easy method to retrieve the process name of 'this' instance of
> Emacs, via a lisp expression?

It is not clear to me what you mean by ``the process name''.  Can you
clarify?

One possibility is (car command-line-args), but I'm not sure if that's
what you want.

* Re: instance process name
       [not found] <mailman.5806.1125689370.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-05 18:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-09-05 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks Kevin.  Actually, I'm running GNU Emacs 21.3.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8,
> X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) from Windows, but when I bring up Sun's Forte
> Debugger (workshop), Sun has integrated the debugger into Xemacs, and I
> simply want the ability to load/~load various features, as they both use the
> same init file.  I'll probably just use the emacs-build-system or
> emacs-version.

You'll probably be yet better off checking (fboundp '<foo>) and (featurep
'<bar>) and (boundp '<baz>) and things like that.

But you'll have to tell us more if you want a more complete answer.

* RE: instance process name
@ 2005-09-06 14:44 Rancier, Jeff
From: Rancier, Jeff @ 2005-09-06 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

The actual name from the process table, specifically, I want to
differentiate between 'xemacs' vs. 'emacs'.  Thanks.

* Re: instance process name
@ 2005-09-06 15:12 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-09-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Rancier, Jeff" <Jeff.Rancier@Sensis.com>
> Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:44:39 -0400
>
> The actual name from the process table, specifically, I want to
> differentiate between 'xemacs' vs. 'emacs'.  Thanks.

(if (featurep 'xemacs)
    (message "it's XEmacs")
  (message "it's Emacs"))

* Re: instance process name