all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is emacs wrong? - EOF is allowed without EOL
@ 2005-11-28  8:41 Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2005-11-28  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am using a program compiled with the g77 fortran compiler to read
files. I discovered that g77 does not read the last line of a file if
it is not terminated by the EOL-character(s).

Some posters in the mingw mailing list finds it to be a problem that
an editor allows this. Is is so? And, moreover, can I have a setting
in an emacs mode that forces a line break before end of file?
--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html

* Re: Is emacs wrong? - EOF is allowed without EOL
@ 2005-11-28  9:01 ` Björn Lindström
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Björn Lindström @ 2005-11-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Elmegaard <brian@rkspeed-rugby.dk> writes:

> And, moreover, can I have a setting in an emacs mode that forces a
> line break before end of file?

Setting the variable require-final-newline to the appropriate value
should do it.

I like

(setq require-final-newline 'ask)

* Re: Is emacs wrong? - EOF is allowed without EOL
@ 2005-11-28  9:08 ` Henrik Enberg
       [not found] ` <mailman.17031.1133168913.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-11-28  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Brian Elmegaard <brian@rkspeed-rugby.dk>
> Date: 28 Nov 2005 09:41:21 +0100
>
> can I have a setting in an emacs mode that forces a line break before
> end of file?

(setq require-final-newline t)

@ 2005-11-28  9:13   ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2005-11-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the prompt answers.

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html
http://www.rugbyklubben-speed.dk

* Re: Is emacs wrong? - EOF is allowed without EOL
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.17031.1133168913.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-28  9:22 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2005-11-28  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Elmegaard wrote:

> I discovered that g77 does not read the last line of a file if it is
> not terminated by the EOL-character(s).
>
> Some posters in the mingw mailing list finds it to be a problem that
> an editor allows this. Is is so? And, moreover, can I have a setting
> in an emacs mode that forces a line break before end of file?

Just for the record, Emacs does the correct thing in f90 and fortran
mode by default.

* Re: Is emacs wrong? - EOF is allowed without EOL
@ 2005-11-28  9:41   ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2005-11-28  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Just for the record, Emacs does the correct thing in f90 and fortran
> mode by default.

I see. It is only for the mode I have written I didn't know that g77
programs did not read it as most other compilers, e.g., gfortran, g95.