all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CPU maxed out when idling under windows with 22.1
@ 2007-06-05  9:43 remi.delmas.3000
From: remi.delmas.3000 @ 2007-06-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everybody!

I've been using emacs 22.0.50.2 win32 for the last two years without major
problems.

I switched to 22.1 win32 stable this morning, and I have the following problem :
emacs eats 99% CPU when idling, with just two or three files opened in c-mode.

Is there something I can do to solve this problem on my own or does it look like
a bug?

Thanks for your help,

/Rémi

* Re: CPU maxed out when idling under windows with 22.1
@ 2007-06-05 10:14 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-06-05 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: remi.delmas.3000@free.fr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/5/07, remi.delmas.3000@free.fr <remi.delmas.3000@free.fr> wrote:

> Is there something I can do to solve this problem on my own or does it look like
> a bug?

Looks like a bug. Please try to reproduce it in the simplest form
(with -q --no-site-file, as few files as possible, etc.) and send a
bug report with M-x report-emacs-bug.

             Juanma

* Re: CPU maxed out when idling under windows with 22.1
       [not found] <mailman.1571.1181036609.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-05 11:16 ` Torsten Mueller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1591.1181068669.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Torsten Mueller @ 2007-06-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

remi.delmas.3000@free.fr wrote:

> I switched to 22.1 win32 stable this morning, and I have the
> following problem : emacs eats 99% CPU when idling, with just two or
> three files opened in c-mode.

What binary do you use? I compiled using MinGW and gcc 3.4.5 this
morning and everything works really fine, even on the first approach.

T.M.

@ 2007-06-05 12:43 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2007-06-05 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had the same issue with a prerelease, and it turned out to be the
semantic package. I fixed it with the following line, which basically
turns off the offending process:

; prevent semantic from maxing out the cpu
(setq semantic-idle-scheduler-idle-time 432000)

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: CPU maxed out when idling under windows with 22.1
@ 2007-06-05 18:35   ` Rémi Delmas
From: Rémi Delmas @ 2007-06-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Chris, I'll try that, after some trial and error I located the
problem in the cedet/ECB extension :)

@ 2007-06-05 18:37   ` Rémi Delmas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1591.1181068669.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rémi Delmas @ 2007-06-05 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urlicht; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using the binary release found on the GNU ftp, looking like it was
compiled with mingw! But it looks like the problem comes from the
semantic parser
Cheers!

@ 2007-06-05 20:07     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-05 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 Jun, 19:37, Rémi Delmas <remi.delmas.3...@free.fr> wrote:
> I'm using the binary release found on the GNU ftp, looking like it was
> compiled with mingw! But it looks like the problem comes from the
> semantic parser

The problem is in semantic-idle.el. You can either set the timeout
very large so semantic's idle processing never kicks in, as suggested
by Chris, or you can get an updated semantic-idle.el from CEDET's CVS
repository. Hopefully CEDET will be released soon - it is almost 2
years since the last pre-release.