all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cursor colour
@ 2002-09-26 13:15 Davide Viti
From: Davide Viti @ 2002-09-26 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm not very good at customizing Emacs (lazy and not very much spare
time) but I wanted to change the colour of the cursor with the following:

(set-cursor-color "red")

I do get the red colour, but if I open a new frame (C-x 5 2) the cursor is
black...

Another request: does anyone have a sample .emacs where the background
colour is black and the syntax is nice... please

I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on M$ Windoze NT

thanx in advance

d.

* Re: Cursor colour
@ 2002-09-26 13:36 ` Todd Wylie
From: Todd Wylie @ 2002-09-26 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Another request: does anyone have a sample .emacs where the background
>colour is black and the syntax is nice... please

Here is a very simple .emacs example that will set bg black and cursor color etc. -- it also tries to color syntax for major modes...

Good luck.
----------------------------------

;; DEFAULT COLORS
;; undo to return to normal white bg, black text, etc.
(set-foreground-color "grey")
(set-background-color "black")
(set-cursor-color "white")

;; AUTOMATICALLY FONT-LOCK FOR MAJOR MODES
(cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
       ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
       (global-font-lock-mode t)
       ;; Maximum colors
       (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)))

* Re: Cursor colour
@ 2002-09-26 13:47 ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2002-09-26 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/26/02 9:15 AM, "Davide Viti" <davide.viti@icn.siemens.it> wrote:

> I'm not very good at customizing Emacs (lazy and not very much spare
> time) but I wanted to change the colour of the cursor with the following:
>
> (set-cursor-color "red")
>
> I do get the red colour, but if I open a new frame (C-x 5 2) the cursor is
> black...

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(cursor-color . "red"))

> Another request: does anyone have a sample .emacs where the background
> colour is black and the syntax is nice... please

Here is mine, not quite black:

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "gray16"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "lightyellow"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(cursor-color . "Yellow3"))

;;

(set-face-background 'region "rgb:8/6/5")
(set-face-foreground 'region "lightyellow")
(set-face-foreground 'modeline "lightgoldenrod")
(set-face-background 'modeline "gray21")
(set-face-foreground 'highlight "lightyellow")
(set-face-background 'highlight "yellow4")
(set-face-foreground 'bold "white")
(set-face-foreground 'italic "tan1")
(set-face-background 'fringe  "gray16") ;; same as background color

  Gil

* Re: Cursor colour
@ 2002-09-26 23:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-09-26 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Davide Viti wrote:

> I'm not very good at customizing Emacs (lazy and not very much spare
> time) but I wanted to change the colour of the cursor with the following:
>
> (set-cursor-color "red")
>
> I do get the red colour, but if I open a new frame (C-x 5 2) the cursor is
> black...
> I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on M$ Windoze NT

Here's what I put in my .Xdefaults file on Unix/X:

Emacs*cursorColor:      blue
Emacs*pointerColor:     blue

Even if those resources aren't loaded into the X server via xrdb, emacs reads
them, right?  Does that that happen on other platforms, like Windows, as well?