all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems binding keys
@ 2003-11-23 22:03 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-23 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to figure  out how to bind some keys and  place the LISP in
my .emacs.  I  can't figure out how to use  the "vectors" to represent
keys.  For instance, I think the following should work:

(global-set-key "C-c f" font-lock-mode)

But I just get a bunch of lisp errors.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dan

* Re: Problems binding keys
@ 2003-11-23 22:51 ` Sean Richards
From: Sean Richards @ 2003-11-23 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> I'm trying to figure  out how to bind some keys and  place the LISP in
> my .emacs.  I  can't figure out how to use  the "vectors" to represent
> keys.  For instance, I think the following should work:
>
> (global-set-key "C-c f" font-lock-mode)
>
> But I just get a bunch of lisp errors.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Using vector notation means just that, enclosing the characters that
represent the key sequence inside a vector [].

I think the following would probably be better :)

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c f") 'font-lock-mode)

You need the ' in front of font-lock-mode as otherwise it is evaluated
as a variable (I think).

--
Sean Richards

Applied Management and Computing Division
P.O. Box 84, Lincoln University,
Canterbury, New Zealand
Phone:    (64)(3) 3252-811 ext 8015
Email:      richars3@lincoln.ac.nz

* Re: Problems binding keys
@ 2003-11-23 22:58 ` Sean Richards
From: Sean Richards @ 2003-11-23 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> I'm trying to figure  out how to bind some keys and  place the LISP in
> my .emacs.  I  can't figure out how to use  the "vectors" to represent
> keys.  For instance, I think the following should work:
>
> (global-set-key "C-c f" font-lock-mode)
>
> But I just get a bunch of lisp errors.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Try (global-set-key ("C-c f") 'font-lock-mode)

Note the ' in front of font-lock-mode.

Sean

--
"Hver sin smak", sa vintapperen, han drakk mens de andre sloss.