all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to upgrade from version 20.7
@ 2004-02-13 19:44 David
From: David @ 2004-02-13 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for help with the upgrade process -- my original
installation had been from a prepared package, so I don't have
experience installing emacs. I'm running emacs on Win2K. Do I need to
uninstall my present version? What files do I need to download, and
how do I unzip them? Is there a detailed FAQ for this procedure
anywhere?

Thanks,
David

* Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7
@ 2004-02-13 22:11 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2004-02-13 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <68945b72.0402131144.37e435f@posting.google.com>,
 groupsuser@yahoo.com (David) writes:
> I'm looking for help with the upgrade process -- my original
> installation had been from a prepared package, so I don't have
> experience installing emacs. I'm running emacs on Win2K. Do I need to
> uninstall my present version? What files do I need to download, and
> how do I unzip them? Is there a detailed FAQ for this procedure
> anywhere?
>
> Thanks,
> David

This link has a whole section on installing.

	http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/big.html

Since emacs doesn't use the registry, it's much easier to install than
most programs.  Typically one unpacks the release, sets up the path
and you're ready to go.

Versions can coexist.

Before you uninstall (by simply deleting) the old version, be sure
that you've moved any local .el files to a safe place.  For that
reason, I don't put my custom .el's in the emacs directory.

* Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7
@ 2004-02-14 18:51   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-02-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:

> Since emacs doesn't use the registry, it's much easier to install than
> most programs.  Typically one unpacks the release, sets up the path
> and you're ready to go.

Didn't Emacs 20 use addpm.exe?  I don't know what that did, though.
So I also don't know what's needed to undo it.

But maybe Emacs 21 still comes with addpm.exe, then just run the new
one...

Kai

* Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7
@ 2004-02-15  6:38     ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2004-02-15  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
>
>> Since emacs doesn't use the registry, it's much easier to install than
>> most programs.  Typically one unpacks the release, sets up the path
>> and you're ready to go.

> Didn't Emacs 20 use addpm.exe?  I don't know what that did, though.
> So I also don't know what's needed to undo it.

emacs 20 uses too addpm.exe.

Harald

* Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7
@ 2004-02-17 21:34     ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2004-02-17 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
> kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
>
> > Since emacs doesn't use the registry, it's much easier to install than
> > most programs.  Typically one unpacks the release, sets up the path
> > and you're ready to go.
>
> Didn't Emacs 20 use addpm.exe?  I don't know what that did, though.
> So I also don't know what's needed to undo it.
>
> But maybe Emacs 21 still comes with addpm.exe, then just run the new
> one...

I install emacs on a new machine by:

1 - Drag and drop the directory from one machine to the other
2 - Drag and drop my .emacs to the new HOME
3 - Put the emacs executable in the PATH and
    put a shortcut on the task bar

I don't have to touch the registry.

The NTemacs FAQ says:

	If you run "addpm.exe", and answer OK to the message box that
	pops up then GNU Emacs will be added to your start menu, and
	certain registry keys will be created for you. This isn't
	compulsorary as in previous releases - so the choice is yours.

Perhaps the registry keys it's talking about are file associations?
Since I use gnuclient, I wouldn't want them anyway.

* Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7
@ 2004-02-18  5:59       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-18  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 17 Feb 2004 21:34:07 GMT
>
> The NTemacs FAQ says:
>
> 	If you run "addpm.exe", and answer OK to the message box that
> 	pops up then GNU Emacs will be added to your start menu, and
> 	certain registry keys will be created for you. This isn't
> 	compulsorary as in previous releases - so the choice is yours.
>
> Perhaps the registry keys it's talking about are file associations?

No, the registry entries describe where Emacs should find its files.
But since the code now has improved algorithms for finding them, the
role of addpm is greatly diminished, in most installations it is not
needed anymore.