all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-15 11:51 joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-15 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am looking for a kind of IDE for emacs. It should at least be able to
deal with C and C++.
I am aware of ECB (emacs code browser). I do like its design, but it is
so slow that it cannot be used with really large projects.

Is there another package of this kind? Or is it possible to leave away
part of ecb's functionality in order to make it faster?

Jörg Schuster

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-19  9:49 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2005-12-19  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Dec 2005, joerg schuster wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I am looking for a kind of IDE for emacs. It should at least be able to
>  deal with C and C++.
>  I am aware of ECB (emacs code browser). I do like its design, but it is
>  so slow that it cannot be used with really large projects.

Could you please be a little bit more specific? Which operations are "so slow",
what are you doing? Is it slow in opening files, in parsing files or what is
slow?

Please also remember that ECB is the "displayor" of parsing informations! The
parsing-job is done completely by the cedet-tools - maybe the problem lies
there, but to find this out we need details...

>  Is there another package of this kind? Or is it possible to leave away
>  part of ecb's functionality in order to make it faster?

Probably yes, but for this i need some more details....

In general is it a smart move to send a problem report to either the
ECB-mailing-list or/and the cedet-mailing-list - see the docu...

Ciao,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-19 11:06   ` dienekes
From: dienekes @ 2005-12-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2005, joerg schuster wrote:
>

>>  Hello,
>>
>>  I am looking for a kind of IDE for emacs. It should at least be able to
>>  deal with C and C++.
>>  I am aware of ECB (emacs code browser). I do like its design, but it is
>>  so slow that it cannot be used with really large projects.

I never experienced any ECB related slowness. I'm running ECB 2.31 with
semantic 1.4.4, eieio 0.17 and speedbar 0.14beta4.

-Dienekes

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-19 12:00   ` joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-19 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Could you please be a little bit more specific?

When I try to edit a certain program of mine in ECB, my laptop (1GB
memory, Centrino,  1.6 GHz), doesn't do anything but trying to parse
the program. It is impossible to type anything then. The program is
about 4500 lines long and it is written in Python.

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-19 12:15   ` joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-19 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Klaus,

I have just installed a new emacs version. The ECB problems have now
disappeared completely. Sorry for claiming ECB was slow.

It just did not occur to me that Emacs itself (or my installation)
could be the problem.

I am glad to be able to use ECB now ...

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-20 10:05     ` joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-20 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again,

unfortunately, the problems have come back. My .emacs.el has the
following lines:

(load-file "~/bin/emacs/var/cedet/cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el")
(setq load-path
      (append '("~/bin/emacs/var"
                "~/bin/emacs/var/ecb/ecb-2.32"
                )
       load-path))
(require 'ecb)

It seems that these lines alone (i.e. without me activating ECB) cause
Emacs to "freeze" when I open my Python program. When an instance of
Emacs "freezes", it doesn't show one single character of the program.
Besides, you cannot type anything. It is not possible to quit Emacs.
Neither is it possible to shut the window in which the Emacs instance
runs. Killing through the program 'kill' is still possible.

Curiously, it is no problem to open other (much smaller) Python
programs.

What could be the problem?

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-20 13:09       ` Eric Ludlam
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19958.1135100669.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2005-12-20 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

It may be that you have found a bug in the python parser.  Can you
break out of the hang w/ C-g?  If so, you could do this:

M-x toggle-debug-on-error
;; do the reproduction
C-g

Eric

--
Eric Ludlam                    The MathWorks x 7556  eludlam@mathworks.com
http://www.siege-engine.com                       http://www.mathworks.com

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-20 14:00         ` joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-20 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can you
> break out of the hang w/ C-g?

No, I can't.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you the file I am having problems with.
But you should be able to produce similar problems with any Python
program that is at least 5000 lines long. Here is one such program:

http://www.tundraware.com/Software/twander/

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-20 15:26           ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2005-12-20 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, but now it seems that the freeze comes not from ECB but from cedet -
right?

Klaus

--

@ 2005-12-20 16:32             ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2005-12-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

CEDET Background parsing enables C-g, as it is off by default in timer
fcns and in some hooks.  If ECB is doing some work in such a way and
calling the parser, it would be very helpful if it too enabled C-g.

Something like this:

    (let ((inhibit-quit nil)
          )
       (do stuff)
     )

If C-g is enabled at that time, I'm not sure why it would fail to exit
on C-g.  Perhaps some built-in function is being given bad parameters
or some-such.

Eric

>>> Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> seems to think that:
>
>Well, but now it seems that the freeze comes not from ECB but from cedet -
>right?
>
>Klaus
>
>On 20 Dec 2005, joerg schuster wrote:
>
>> > Can you
>> > break out of the hang w/ C-g?
>>
>>  No, I can't.
>>
>>  Unfortunately, I cannot give you the file I am having problems with.
>>  But you should be able to produce similar problems with any Python
>>  program that is at least 5000 lines long. Here is one such program:
>>
>>  http://www.tundraware.com/Software/twander/>
>>
>>  Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-20 17:35       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19958.1135100669.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-20 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

joerg.schuster@gmail.com wrote:
> unfortunately, the problems have come back. My .emacs.el has the
> following lines:
>
> (load-file "~/bin/emacs/var/cedet/cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el")
> (setq load-path
>       (append '("~/bin/emacs/var"
>                 "~/bin/emacs/var/ecb/ecb-2.32"
>                 )
>        load-path))
> (require 'ecb)
>
> It seems that these lines alone (i.e. without me activating ECB) cause
> Emacs to "freeze" when I open my Python program. When an instance of
> Emacs "freezes", it doesn't show one single character of the program.
> Besides, you cannot type anything. It is not possible to quit Emacs.
> Neither is it possible to shut the window in which the Emacs instance
> runs. Killing through the program 'kill' is still possible.
>
> Curiously, it is no problem to open other (much smaller) Python
> programs.
>
> What could be the problem?

Why are you putting the ~/bin/emacs/var and ~/bin/emacs/var/ecb/ecb-2.32
directories at the front of load-path?  Perhaps they are shadowing lisp
files distributed with Emacs; use `M-x list-load-path-shadows' to find
out if that's the case.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: alternative to ECB
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19958.1135100669.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-21  9:44         ` joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-21  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> use `M-x list-load-path-shadows' to find
> out if that's the case.

I have done this. The answer was

[...]
22 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found

But what does this mean?

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-21 11:40           ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]           ` <mailman.20075.1135185808.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-12-21 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.12.2005 um 10:44 schrieb joerg.schuster@gmail.com:

> 22 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
>
> But what does this mean?

I think something went wrong with some installation and you now have
multiple branches of the whole emacs/lisp or emacs/<version
number>/lisp (and site-lisp) directory trees. I remember that I had the
same some time.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-21 17:15           ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.20075.1135185808.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-21 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

joerg.schuster@gmail.com wrote:
>>use `M-x list-load-path-shadows' to find
>>out if that's the case.
>

> I have done this. The answer was
>
> [...]
> 22 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
>
> But what does this mean?

It depends on which libraries are shadowed, and whether the
shadowing files are equivalent to the originals or are responsible
for the problem.

Did you try appending your personal directories after the
default load-path, instead of before it?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: alternative to ECB
       [not found]           ` <mailman.20075.1135185808.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-22  8:30             ` joerg.schuster
       [not found]               ` <mailman.20177.1135269115.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-22  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know where exactly the default load-path is "applied". The only
statement about load-path
in my .emacs.el currently reads as follows:

(setq load-path
      (append '("~/bin/emacs/js"
		"~/bin/emacs/var"
 		;; "~/bin/emacs/var/ecb/ecb-2.32"
		)

       load-path))

Is this bad?

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2005-12-22 16:28               ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]               ` <mailman.20177.1135269115.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-22 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

joerg.schuster@gmail.com wrote:
> I don't know where exactly the default load-path is "applied". The only
> statement about load-path
> in my .emacs.el currently reads as follows:
>
> (setq load-path
>       (append '("~/bin/emacs/js"
> 		"~/bin/emacs/var"
>  		;; "~/bin/emacs/var/ecb/ecb-2.32"
> 		)
>
>        load-path))
>
> Is this bad?

Maybe.  I think you should try this instead because the order of the
directories in load-path matters:

(setq load-path
       (append load-path
               '("~/bin/emacs/js"
		"~/bin/emacs/var"
  		;; "~/bin/emacs/var/ecb/ecb-2.32"
		)
               ))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: alternative to ECB
       [not found]               ` <mailman.20177.1135269115.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-23  9:32                 ` joerg.schuster
From: joerg.schuster @ 2005-12-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the hint. I will use your version, though, in my case, it
doesn't seem to make any difference.

Jörg

* Re: alternative to ECB
@ 2006-01-03 14:59               ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2006-01-03 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Eric Ludlam wrote:

>  CEDET Background parsing enables C-g, as it is off by default in timer
>  fcns and in some hooks.  If ECB is doing some work in such a way and
>  calling the parser, it would be very helpful if it too enabled C-g.
>
>  Something like this:
>
>      (let ((inhibit-quit nil)
>            )
>         (do stuff)
>       )

Just for ensuring not to misunderstand you:

Do you recommend, enabling C-g every time ECB calls the parser
programmatically (e.g. via `semantic-fetch-tags')?

Thanks,
Klaus