all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Backing up buffers
@ 2007-01-19 17:53 HS
From: HS @ 2007-01-19 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to find out if  there's a way to configure Emacs so that
buffers with no file associated could also be silently  backuped.
Any one knows this ?

Thanks in advance,
HS

* Re: Backing up buffers
@ 2007-01-19 22:03 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2007-01-19 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm trying to find out if  there's a way to configure Emacs so that
> buffers with no file associated could also be silently  backuped.

Basically, no.
Naturally you could write something.
The hard part would be deciding what buffers to 'back up'.
There are loads of buffers used for purposes you really wouldn't want
'backed up'.
For example dired buffers.

* Re: Backing up buffers
@ 2007-01-19 23:47   ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3345.1169299706.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-01-19 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

rgb wrote:
>> I'm trying to find out if  there's a way to configure Emacs so that
>> buffers with no file associated could also be silently  backuped.
>
> Basically, no.
> Naturally you could write something.
> The hard part would be deciding what buffers to 'back up'.
> There are loads of buffers used for purposes you really wouldn't want
> 'backed up'.
> For example dired buffers.

If you designed it right, this wouldn't be a problem.  In normal
circumstances, simply remove all backups on close.  If emacs does crash,
on open it can ask whether each buffer should be restored or deleted,
ala OpenOffice.

Matthew Flaschen

* Re: Backing up buffers
@ 2007-01-20 13:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-20 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "HS" <hugows@gmail.com>
> Date: 19 Jan 2007 09:53:35 -0800
>
> I'm trying to find out if  there's a way to configure Emacs so that
> buffers with no file associated could also be silently  backuped.

What do you mean by ``backuped'' here?  Backup is something you do to
preserve the original version of a file when the modified version is
written to disk.  Buffers that don't have an associated file cannot
possibly overwrite an existing file, so there's nothing to backup.

Do you perhaps mean some kind of auto-save, whereby the buffers that
don't have an associated file are saved to disk where you can find
them in case Emacs crashes?  If so, I think you want to look into
turning auto-save on in those buffers, not backup them.

Or are you looking for something else?  If so, please tell more
details.

* Re: Backing up buffers
@ 2007-01-20 13:28     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3345.1169299706.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-20 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:47:02 -0500
> From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
>
> If you designed it right, this wouldn't be a problem.  In normal
> circumstances, simply remove all backups on close.  If emacs does crash,
> on open it can ask whether each buffer should be restored or deleted,
> ala OpenOffice.

Isn't that what auto-save already does?

* Re: Backing up buffers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3345.1169299706.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-21 16:19       ` rgb
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3391.1169413066.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rgb @ 2007-01-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:47:02 -0500
> > From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
> >
> > If you designed it right, this wouldn't be a problem.  In normal
> > circumstances, simply remove all backups on close.  If emacs does crash,
> > on open it can ask whether each buffer should be restored or deleted,
> > ala OpenOffice.
>
> Isn't that what auto-save already does?

are you saying that autosave can already be configured
to save the contents of buffers that don't have files
associated with them?

* Re: Backing up buffers
@ 2007-01-21 20:57         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3391.1169413066.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-21 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net>
> Date: 21 Jan 2007 08:19:00 -0800
>
> are you saying that autosave can already be configured
> to save the contents of buffers that don't have files
> associated with them?

All you need is to turn on auto-save; it is off by default in such
buffers.  You could arrange for the appropriate mode hook to do that.
You can find an example in mail-mode, which arranges for the *mail*
buffers, where you compose outgoing messages, to be auto-saved.

* Re: Backing up buffers
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3391.1169413066.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-22 13:00           ` HS
From: HS @ 2007-01-22 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli: Yes, it's something like Auto-save that I need... Thank you very
much, I'll give it a look!
And sorry for the "backuped", that word was really sounding strange!

Cheers
HS

@ 2007-01-22 14:05       ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-01-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)