all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Windows XP: Set PATH Variable by Script/Batch
@ 2007-06-06 15:24 Will
From: Will @ 2007-06-06 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo,

is there a way to set the PATH Variable under MS Windows XP
automatically by a script/batch file (cf. autoexec.bat in Win98) to
avoiding using the Graphical User Interface (My Computer > Properties >
Advanced > Environment Variables > ...)?

Thanks for helping in advance,

Will

* Re: Windows XP: Set PATH Variable by Script/Batch
@ 2007-06-06 17:02 ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 17:24 Wed 06 Jun     , Will wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> is there a way to set the PATH Variable under MS Windows XP
> automatically by a script/batch file (cf. autoexec.bat in Win98) to
> avoiding using the Graphical User Interface (My Computer > Properties >
> Advanced > Environment Variables > ...)?
>
> Thanks for helping in advance,
>
> Will
In Emacs, you can use getenv and setenv. There are ways to do this
with VB scripts too. See Siep Kroonenberg's site on portable TeX
Live (http://tex.aanhet.net/portable/ )
for the Windows way and my site ( http://potis.org/software/livedvd/ ) for
an elisp way. The problem of setting PATH had to be addressed to make
those projects work.

* Re: Windows XP: Set PATH Variable by Script/Batch
@ 2007-06-06 18:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Will <schimpanski@gmx.de>
> Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:24:43 +0200
>
> is there a way to set the PATH Variable under MS Windows XP
> automatically by a script/batch file (cf. autoexec.bat in Win98) to
> avoiding using the Graphical User Interface (My Computer > Properties >
> Advanced > Environment Variables > ...)?

Why do you need this?  (I'm asking because it's quite possible that
you don't need to modify PATH at all.)

For example, if you need this to get the Emacs icon invoke Emacs,
there's no need to modify PATH.

* Re: Windows XP: Set PATH Variable by Script/Batch
@ 2007-06-07  2:31 ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2007-06-07  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Will <schimpanski@gmx.de> wrote in news:5co1srF3283cpU1@mid.individual.net:

> Hallo,
>
> is there a way to set the PATH Variable under MS Windows XP
> automatically by a script/batch file (cf. autoexec.bat in Win98) to
> avoiding using the Graphical User Interface (My Computer > Properties >
> Advanced > Environment Variables > ...)?

Look for pathman.exe in the various Microsoft resource kits.  A search at
microsoft.com should find a free download.  Setx.exe might also be useful
for setting other environment variables such as HOME.