all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* building advice
@ 2007-09-08 10:57 d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2007-09-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I need some advise on how to test certain fixes and not have to rebuild
the whole emacs cvs tree all over...   This is very time consuming to
try build fixes...

For example, in my case, I am trying to figure out if some changes I made in the tramp files, enables them to byte compile properly on my system.

I tried using emacs --batch tramp*.el         [with an existing emacs] and
             temacs --batch tramp*.el	      [with the partially built emacs]

I am sure there are various environment variables involved in the process as well.
For now I just make changes, distclean, and rebuild.  This takes as you all know a long time to find out if I did anything right to at least allow a clean compile.

Thanks,
  darel henman

* Re: building advice
@ 2007-09-08 12:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.henman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "d.henman" <dhenman@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:57:10 +0900
> cc:
>
> I need some advise on how to test certain fixes and not have to rebuild
> the whole emacs cvs tree all over...   This is very time consuming to
> try build fixes...
>
> For example, in my case, I am trying to figure out if some changes I made in the tramp files, enables them to byte compile properly on my system.
>
> I tried using emacs --batch tramp*.el         [with an existing emacs] and
>              temacs --batch tramp*.el	      [with the partially built emacs]
>
> I am sure there are various environment variables involved in the process as well.
> For now I just make changes, distclean, and rebuild.  This takes as you all know a long time to find out if I did anything right to at least allow a clean compile.

One way to do it easier is to chdir to the lisp/ directory, and then
type these commands:

     make cvs-update EMACS=../src/emacs

if you are on a Unix-like system, or

     make cvs-update EMACS=../src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe

if you are on MS-Windows.

* Re: building advice
@ 2007-09-09  0:13   ` d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2007-09-09  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: d. henman, emacs-devel

Eli,
  thanks for the time saving advice and

Dan, et al,
  thanks for your support and help with the cygwin version of emacs.

Regards,
  darel henman