all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to set language-env differently for some directories ?
@ 2008-06-09 14:34 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2008-06-09 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I'm not an emacs or elisp expert, so when it comes to special things I
can only call for help :-)

My current emacs is in an UTF8 language-environment. For some
directories (actually a specific tree) I have to use Latin1. How can I
achieve that automatically ?

For the moment I manually switch when needed, but that's cumbersome
and prone to errors, so I'd like to automate it : all files under
"specific_dir" are to be treated in Latin1. Filenames and content.

Rémi

* Re: how to set language-env differently for some directories ?
@ 2008-06-09 16:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: =?utf-8?Q?R=C3=A9mi?= Letot <hobbes@poukram.net>
> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:34:29 +0200
>
> My current emacs is in an UTF8 language-environment. For some
> directories (actually a specific tree) I have to use Latin1. How can I
> achieve that automatically ?
>
> For the moment I manually switch when needed, but that's cumbersome
> and prone to errors, so I'd like to automate it : all files under
> "specific_dir" are to be treated in Latin1. Filenames and content.

I'd try customizing file-coding-system-alist.  If that somehow doesn't
work, please describe more details on emacs-devel@gnu.org, perhaps
there's some bug or missing feature.

Out of curiosity: how come this specific tree is in a different
encoding?  Is it a volume mounted from another machine, or some
removable media?

* Re: how to set language-env differently for some directories ?
@ 2008-06-09 16:35   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2008-06-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: =?utf-8?Q?R=C3=A9mi?= Letot <hobbes@poukram.net>
>> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:34:29 +0200
>>
>> My current emacs is in an UTF8 language-environment. For some
>> directories (actually a specific tree) I have to use Latin1. How can I
>> achieve that automatically ?
>>
>> For the moment I manually switch when needed, but that's cumbersome
>> and prone to errors, so I'd like to automate it : all files under
>> "specific_dir" are to be treated in Latin1. Filenames and content.
>
> I'd try customizing file-coding-system-alist.  If that somehow doesn't
> work, please describe more details on emacs-devel@gnu.org, perhaps
> there's some bug or missing feature.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Question : Does it deal only with content of files or also file names?

> Out of curiosity: how come this specific tree is in a different
> encoding?  Is it a volume mounted from another machine, or some
> removable media?

Oh no, simpler than that : that directory and everything in it is a
"mirror" of memos on my palm device, but the palm doesn't deal well
with UTF names and content, so I have to keep it Latin9 when I work in
it.

       [not found] <mailman.12940.1213025111.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-09 17:15 ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2008-06-09 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"RL" == Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:

  RL> My current emacs is in an UTF8 language-environment. For some
  RL> directories (actually a specific tree) I have to use Latin1. How can I
  RL> achieve that automatically ?

Try using modify-coding-system-alist:

,----
`----

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pascal.quesseveur@free.fr

* Re: how to set language-env differently for some directories ?
@ 2008-06-09 17:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-09 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: =?utf-8?Q?R=C3=A9mi?= Letot <hobbes@poukram.net>
> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:35:08 +0200
>
> > I'd try customizing file-coding-system-alist.  If that somehow doesn't
> > work, please describe more details on emacs-devel@gnu.org, perhaps
> > there's some bug or missing feature.
>
> Thanks, I'll try that.
>
> Question : Does it deal only with content of files or also file names?

The doc string sounds like it should deal with any file operation, but
I've never tried it for anything but file contents.  Again, if it
doesn't live up to its doc string, tell the details on emacs-devel.

* Re: how to set language-env differently for some directories ?
@ 2008-06-12 14:50   ` Debian User
From: Debian User @ 2008-06-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal Quesseveur <pascal.quesseveur@free.fr> writes:

>>"RL" == Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:
>
>   RL> My current emacs is in an UTF8 language-environment. For some
>   RL> directories (actually a specific tree) I have to use Latin1. How can I
>   RL> achieve that automatically ?
>
> Try using modify-coding-system-alist:
>
> ,----
> | (modify-coding-system-alist
> |  'file "specific_tree_regexp" 'iso-latin-1-unix)
> `----

great, it works now like a charm.

Thanks all,
--