all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* where does RCS get the user name from?
@ 2002-10-19 22:44 Ed
From: Ed @ 2002-10-19 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy!

I am trying to use RCS. When I lock a file it seems to work but shows
that the file is EHartnett. How does it know my name? I never set that
anywhere...

Also, when I try and work with the file again, emacs makes me send an
email to EHartnett because it thinks I am someone else. How do I tell
emacs and RCS what my user name is, so that they both argee as to who
I am?

Thanks!

Ed

* Re: where does RCS get the user name from?
@ 2002-10-22  0:42 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-10-22  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed <ed@telestoconsulting.com> writes:

> I am trying to use RCS. When I lock a file it seems to work but shows
> that the file is EHartnett. How does it know my name? I never set that
> anywhere...
>
> How do I tell emacs and RCS what my user name is, so that they both
> argee as to who I am?

It probably uses `user-login-name' or `user-real-login-name'.  Try

   `M-x apropos-value RET EHartnett'

to learn which variables have the value "EHartnett".