all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* indentation - always a pita
@ 2003-06-24 22:28 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-24 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe its just because I only have 3 brain cells to rub together. But
it always seems like a massive undertaking to do anything about
indentation in some of the scripting or language modes.

In the instant case its Shell-script (bash)
Pressing Ctrl-Alt \ to format the entire buffer.

Gives me something like:

if [ ];then
    if [ ];then
	case $opt in
	    t) cmd
		if  [ ];then
		    cmd
		fi
		;;
	    h) cmd
		if [ ];then
		    case $otheropt in
			a) cmd
			    if [ ];then
				cmd
			    fi
			    ;;
			b) cmd
                            ::
	            esac
                fi
        esac
	if [];then
	    cmd
	fi
    fi
fi

Admittedly a bit contrived but this seems a little extreme to me.  Now
to do something about this, I dimmly recall starting to before and
quickly discovering its quite complicated.

I'd like something closer to what cperl does.  Also I'd like there to
be NO TABS whatever.  Using tabs in code is guaranteed to cause a
problem sooner or later, when one is forced to edit with something
besides emacs.

So what is the simplist route to getting something like
if [ ];then
  if [ ];then
    if [];then
      cmd
    fi
  fi
fi

Two spaces per clause and 2 spaces for actions inside clause.
No tabs at all.