all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* list Perl functions in menubar dropdown
@ 2005-06-09 15:14 Peyton Bland
From: Peyton Bland @ 2005-06-09 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In the past, I have used a version of xemacs (version 19, I think) that
included an item in the menubar that was labeled Functions.  It would
drop down (depending on mode) a list of Perl (and C) function names;
selecting a name in this list would take you to that point in the file.
I am now using GNU emacs v21.3.1 on another system, and I'd like to
have this functionality available but have been unable to get this to
work or to find any info on this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peyton Bland
Univ. of Michigan, Dept. of Radiology

* RE: list Perl functions in menubar dropdown
@ 2005-06-09 16:25 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-06-09 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In the past, I have used a version of xemacs (version 19, I think) that
    included an item in the menubar that was labeled Functions.  It would
    drop down (depending on mode) a list of Perl (and C) function names;
    selecting a name in this list would take you to that point in the file.
    I am now using GNU emacs v21.3.1 on another system, and I'd like to
    have this functionality available...

See library imenu.el.

* Re: list Perl functions in menubar dropdown
       [not found] <mailman.4092.1118335281.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-09 20:48 ` Peyton Bland
From: Peyton Bland @ 2005-06-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.4092.1118335281.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Drew
Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>     In the past, I have used a version of xemacs (version 19, I think) that
>     included an item in the menubar that was labeled Functions.  It would
>     drop down (depending on mode) a list of Perl (and C) function names;
>     selecting a name in this list would take you to that point in the file.
>     I am now using GNU emacs v21.3.1 on another system, and I'd like to
>     have this functionality available...
>
> See library imenu.el.

Thanks, Adam.  This library was already being loaded, but I'm such an
emacs newbie that I didn't realize that I needed to put
imenu-add-menubar-index in my .emacs file to activate this
functionality.  A piece of companion functionality that I forgot to ask
about comes by adding which-func-mode (as defined in which-func.el)
which shows on the mode-line the name of the function in which the
point resides.  I added these two commands to perl-mode-hook (and to
c-mode-hook and shell-mode-hook).  So now I'm happy...

Thanks again,
Peyton

* Re: list Perl functions in menubar dropdown
@ 2005-06-10  9:44   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2005-06-10  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe you are also interested in the Emacs Code Browser (ECB) - see
http://ecb.sf.net...

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de