all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* undefined color: black
@ 2006-04-05  1:21 Bob Weiler
From: Bob Weiler @ 2006-04-05  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm unable to start emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running with
the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver. I get 'underfined color: black' and
similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs. 'emacs -nw'
works fine. Has anybody seen this problem? If so, do you know how to fix
it?

thanks in advance

* Re: undefined color: black
@ 2006-04-05  3:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-04-05  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Bob Weiler <rweiler@sbcglobal.net>
> Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:21:10 GMT
>
> I'm unable to start emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running with
> the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver. I get 'underfined color: black' and
> similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs.

Could it be that some other program used up too many colors?

* Re: undefined color: black
@ 2006-04-05  7:01 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-05  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm unable to start Emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running with
> the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver.  I get 'underfined color: black' and
> similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs.  'emacs -nw'
> works fine.  Has anybody seen this problem?  If so, do you know how to
> fix it?

By "xemacs", do you really mean XEmacs or just Emacs but in X11-mode?
Assuming it's the latter, I've never seen such a problem, but in some
pre-release version of Emacs I bumped into a problem that looked similar,
where the black color would be hijacked (rather than undefined).

This was on an 8bit display (max 256 different colors) and was due to Emacs
never releasing colors while it continuously re-allocated the same colors,
so if you kept it running long enough the ref-count on the often used colors
(e.g. black) would wrap around the 2G limit and so it would erroneously find
itself "free" for re-allocation.

Now what you're seeing is not this bug: the wrap-around has been fixed since
in the X11 server, and the failure to deallocate colors was also fixed in
Emacs before the 21.1 release.

But maybe it's a similar bug somewhere.  Probably not, but I felt like
telling my story anyway ;-)

* Re: undefined color: black
@ 2006-04-05  7:34 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-04-05  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Weiler <rweiler@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I'm unable to start emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running
> with the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver. I get 'underfined color: black'
> and similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs. 'emacs
> -nw' works fine. Has anybody seen this problem? If so, do you know how
> to fix it?

This is not a bug in Emacs; it indicates that the RgbPath setting in
your X config file file is wrong.

See the following thread:

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: undefined color: black
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-05 10:10 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-04-05 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   From: Bob Weiler <rweiler@sbcglobal.net>

   I'm unable to start emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running with
   the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver. I get 'underfined color: black' and
   similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs. 'emacs -nw'
   works fine. Has anybody seen this problem? If so, do you know how to fix
   it?

Your rgb.txt location has changed and thus, it is not found. Change it in your
xorg.conf (/etc/X11/).

Xavier

* Re: undefined color: black
@ 2006-04-06  1:21   ` Bob Weiler
From: Bob Weiler @ 2006-04-06  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise wrote:
> Bob Weiler <rweiler@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>I'm unable to start emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running
>>with the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver. I get 'underfined color: black'
>>and similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs. 'emacs
>>-nw' works fine. Has anybody seen this problem? If so, do you know how
>>to fix it?
>

> This is not a bug in Emacs; it indicates that the RgbPath setting in
> your X config file file is wrong.
>
> See the following thread:

Yep, this turned out to be it. I copied my xorg.conf file fom my Fedora
Core 3 install and it had the old path. Thanks for the reference.

* Re: undefined color: black
@ 2006-04-06  1:22   ` Bob Weiler
From: Bob Weiler @ 2006-04-06  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise wrote:
> Bob Weiler <rweiler@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>I'm unable to start emacs on a Fedora Core 5 x86_64 install running
>>with the rpm.livna.net Nvidia driver. I get 'underfined color: black'
>>and similar messages about undefined colors if I try xemacs. 'emacs
>>-nw' works fine. Has anybody seen this problem? If so, do you know how
>>to fix it?
>

> This is not a bug in Emacs; it indicates that the RgbPath setting in
> your X config file file is wrong.
>
> See the following thread:

Yep, this turned out to be it. I copied my xorg.conf file fom my Fedora
Core 3 install and it had the old path. Thanks for the reference.

* Undefined color: black
@ 2006-05-16  4:29 John N. Rayner
From: John N. Rayner @ 2006-05-16  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Fedora Core 5 (yum updated to May 15) using emacs-21.4-14 I receive
the error 'Undefined color: "black"' (and other colors in xemacs) on one
machine but not on another.  I've tried modifying the path to rgb.txt on
the failing machine to no effect.
--
Please reply to: rayner.2@osu.edu Geography/Atmospheric Sciences,
1035 Derby Hall, 154 N. Oval Mall, Columbus, OH 43210-1361, USA