all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't input "some greek character" in the current unibyte buffer -- so what do I do to change that?
@ 2007-10-13  3:24 Mirko
       [not found] ` <mailman.2011.1192271063.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mirko @ 2007-10-13  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am using emacs 22.1 on windows XP.  Every once in a while when I set
the encoding system to greek, I get an error message when I try to
input greek characters. For example

Can't input α in the current unibyte buffer

I tried setting the encoding to mule-utf-16. But that did not help.

How can I enable this buffer to accept greek (and other) characters?

Thank you,

Mirko

* Re: Can't input "some greek character" in the current unibyte buffer -- so what do I do to change that?
@ 2007-10-13 10:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2011.1192271063.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-10-13 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mirko <mvukovic@nycap.rr.com>
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 03:24:40 -0000
>
> I am using emacs 22.1 on windows XP.  Every once in a while when I set
> the encoding system to greek, I get an error message when I try to
> input greek characters. For example
>
> Can't input α in the current unibyte buffer

You need to find out why do you have unibyte buffers.  What kinds of
buffers (meaning their names and purposes) trigger these messages?

@ 2007-10-13 19:04   ` Mirko
From: Mirko @ 2007-10-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 13, 6:24 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Mirko <mvuko...@nycap.rr.com>
> > Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 03:24:40 -0000
>
> > I am using emacs 22.1 on windows XP.  Every once in a while when I set
> > the encoding system to greek, I get an error message when I try to
> > input greek characters. For example
>
> > Can't input α in the current unibyte buffer
>
> You need to find out why do you have unibyte buffers.  What kinds of
> buffers (meaning their names and purposes) trigger these messages?

Eli,

This happens in planner mode.  Planner mode uses muse for wiki-like
behavior.

Prompted by your question, I tried to open a test muse file, and I
could
not input greek characters.  I will take this up with the muse mailing
list.

@ 2007-10-13 20:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-10-13 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mirko <mvukovic@nycap.rr.com>
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:04:39 -0000
>
> This happens in planner mode.  Planner mode uses muse for wiki-like
> behavior.
>
> Prompted by your question, I tried to open a test muse file, and I
> could not input greek characters.  I will take this up with the muse
> mailing list.

If muse uses unibyte buffers, please tell muse developers that unibyte
buffers are nowadays ``considered harmful'' in Emacs.