all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-04 14:14 Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-10-04 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using NTEmacs 21.2 with Windows XP and the Oort Gnus 0.07.
Here the EUR-symbol is displayed automatically well.

Value of *current-language-environment* is "German".

But if I'm not using Gnus but any other normal buffer in my Emacs
the EUR-Symbol is not displayed. I suppose the reason is that i do
not using a latin-15 charset but a latin-1. The problem is that i
want to use latin-15 instead of latin-1 but i do not know how?!

What must i add to my .emacs or which option must i customize so
that in all buffers the EUR-symbol can be displayed?

Many thanks in advance!
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-04 16:19 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-04 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm using NTEmacs 21.2 with Windows XP and the Oort Gnus 0.07. Here the
> EUR-symbol is displayed automatically well.

Characters are never displayed "automatically": they're only displayed if
they are present in the buffer.

> But if I'm not using Gnus but any other normal buffer in my Emacs the
> EUR-Symbol is not displayed.

What is displayed in its place ?

> I suppose the reason is that i do not using a latin-15 charset but
> a latin-1. The problem is that i want to use latin-15 instead of latin-1
> but i do not know how?!

Set your LANG envvar to de_DE@euro ?

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-06 10:11   ` maierh
From: maierh @ 2002-10-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>> I suppose the reason is that i do not using a latin-15 charset but
>> a latin-1. The problem is that i want to use latin-15 instead of latin-1
>> but i do not know how?!
>
> Set your LANG envvar to de_DE@euro ?

Tried it with emacs -q --no-site-file and it works fine. Anyway if I
try to insert the Euro-Sign I get the following error:

  \200 is undefined

Any idea?

Harald

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-07 11:23   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-10-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04 Oct 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > I'm using NTEmacs 21.2 with Windows XP and the Oort Gnus 0.07.
Here the
> > EUR-symbol is displayed automatically well.
>
>  Characters are never displayed "automatically": they're only
displayed if
>  they are present in the buffer.

:-) Ok, i will try to be more precise: If a posting contains the
EUR sign (€) then it is displayed automatically (means i have
nothing to configure in Gnus for this) correctly in the
summary-buffer as well as in the message- or article buffer.

> > But if I'm not using Gnus but any other normal buffer in my
Emacs the
> > EUR-Symbol is not displayed.
>
>  What is displayed in its place ?

If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it
to the clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer
(e.g. *scratch*) then i get only \200.

> > I suppose the reason is that i do not using a latin-15 charset
but
> > a latin-1. The problem is that i want to use latin-15 instead
of latin-1
> > but i do not know how?!
>
>  Set your LANG envvar to de_DE@euro ?

Ok, after this my *current-language-environment* has value
"Latin-9" which seems to be correct but nevertheless i have no
success with inserting an EUR sign (€), neither by pasting from
the clipboard (still getting \200) nor by hitting the
key-combination (German keyboard: Alt Gr + e) which inserts € into
a Word-document for example (in Emacs no reaction means nothing is
inserted).

Is this clearer now?

Ciao,
Klaus

--

@ 2002-10-07 20:26     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-07 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it to the
> clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer (e.g. *scratch*)
> then i get only \200.

But it works OK for other latin-9 characters ?  Odd !
Maybe that rings a bell for someone else ?  Eli ?

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-07 20:33     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2002-10-07 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

KB> :-) Ok, i will try to be more precise: If a posting contains the EUR sign
KB> (€) then it is displayed automatically (means i have nothing to configure
KB> in Gnus for this) correctly in the summary-buffer as well as in the
KB> message- or article buffer.

This is because in the header the charset is given as iso-8859-15 and
(probably) the correct code for € is used.

KB> If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it to the
KB> clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer (e.g. *scratch*)
KB> then i get only \200.

KB> Ok, after this my *current-language-environment* has value "Latin-9" which
KB> seems to be correct but nevertheless i have no success with inserting an
KB> EUR sign (€), neither by pasting from the clipboard (still getting \200)
KB> nor by hitting the key-combination (German keyboard: Alt Gr + e) which
KB> inserts € into a Word-document for example (in Emacs no reaction means
KB> nothing is inserted).

\200 is not a valid code in Latin-9 (iso-8859-15), but it is the code for
€ in Windows. So you either have to use the Windows character encoding (I
think it is character set 1252) or use the proper code for Latin-9 (0xA4).
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-07 20:34     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1034025011.22999.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-07 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it to the
> clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer (e.g. *scratch*)
> then i get only \200.

I actually accidentally just bumped into the answer:
Your clipboard/word thing is encoded in codepage 1252 (an MS-only
extension of latin-1) where the euro is available as char 128
(i.e. 200 in octal).
So you should try and set your interprogram coding system to cp1252.
I'm not sure how to do that.  And I think that Emacs-21.2's support for
cp1252 is incomplete.

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-07 21:09       ` ken
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1034025011.22999.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2002-10-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

The octal for (the extended ASCII of) the Euro sign is 244.  So to get
it in emacs, do C-q 244 RETURN (or SPACE or whatever).  This works for
me.  I'm using 8859-1 encoding.

Yeah, you might have to do a search-and-replace on cut-n-pasted
documents, but it's better than using a crayon on your monitor.  :)

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> at 16:34 (UTC-0400) on 7 Oct 2002:

=
= I actually accidentally just bumped into the answer:
= Your clipboard/word thing is encoded in codepage 1252 (an MS-only
= extension of latin-1) where the euro is available as char 128
= (i.e. 200 in octal).
= So you should try and set your interprogram coding system to cp1252.
= I'm not sure how to do that.  And I think that Emacs-21.2's support for
= cp1252 is incomplete.
=
=
=         Stefan
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

@ 2002-10-07 22:40         ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-07 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The octal for (the extended ASCII of) the Euro sign is 244.

Sadly, this is meaningless because the octal code depends on the
encoding used.  In cp1252 it's 128, in latin-9 is something else,
in utf-8 it's yet something else, ...

> So to get  it in emacs, do C-q 244 RETURN (or SPACE or whatever).
> This works for  me.  I'm using 8859-1 encoding.

No, you're not using 8859-1 encoding because that encoding does not have
any Euro sign at all.

I feel like I'm sounding very harsh, tho.  Maybe I've had a bad day,
I don't know.  I apologize in advance.

* Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
@ 2002-10-08  0:48           ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-08  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You might be right.  I've got some alternate language sets installed.

Do a gcc on the file below:

<chars.c>
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
  int i;

  for(i = 1; i < 256; i++)
    printf("%3d\t%3o\t%c\n", i, i, i);

}
</chars.c>

then run the executable.  The columns are Decimal, Octal, and the
corresponding character.  Is octal 244 your Euro sign?

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.