all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is it possible to have a "line number column" in emacs?
@ 2005-03-23  4:48 Alex Wang
From: Alex Wang @ 2005-03-23  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I wonder if it's possible to have a separate column to display line
numbers in emacs, just like many other editors.

* Re: Is it possible to have a "line number column" in emacs?
@ 2005-03-23  5:28 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.4810.1111578477.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-03-23  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/line-num.el

found on

 http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html

haven't tried, but the link is alive.

* Re: Is it possible to have a "line number column" in emacs?
@ 2005-03-23 11:07 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4810.1111578477.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-23 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.03.2005 um 05:48 schrieb Alex Wang:

> Hi, I wonder if it's possible to have a separate column to display
> line numbers in emacs, just like many other editors.

What is so insufficient with column-number-mode? If you switch it on

	(setq column-number-mode t)

the modeline will contain

-uu-:**-F1  *shell*        Bot (55,13)     (Shell:run)----Mi, 23.Mär
2005 12:05 0.16 Mail
                                 ^   ^
                line # ----------|   |--------- column #

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)

@ 2005-03-24  9:04   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-03-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Hi, I wonder if it's possible to have a separate column to display
>> line numbers in emacs, just like many other editors.
>
> What is so insufficient with column-number-mode?

A bit off-topic maybe:

The poster must not necessarily find column-number-mode insufficient
just because he want a column displaying the line numbers. It all
depends on what you are doing. For example, sometimes I like to use
hl-line-mode to highlight the line I work on, even though you could
argue that you could as well look at what line the cursor is on.

Personally I seldom use what the poster wants, but who am I to say
that I never will need it? I might want to browse source code together
with a colleague and using such a line number column would make it easy
to say things like "Look at row 21, isn't that crazy stuff?", or "What
do you think about the logic for line 48?".

My two cents.

/Mathias